Best 'softest' type of cutting board wood for the knife ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's mine all done up with mineral oil/beeswax :D. Nice bonus that came with the house. Rest of the kitchen is a work in progress.

block.jpg

Dude, that is a kick-ass butcher block and prep area ! I live in a very very old house and have 1/3 of your space. Where did you get your beeswax from?

Also, instead of buying the manufacturer expensive xxxxx formula oil, would regular mineral good grade oil and some of the shelf beeswax be good enough to condition new boards? I wonder if manufacturer would vid the warranty if did not use their $$$$$ proprietary oil and conditioner formula.... ?

My sister kept bees for a while, until the colony collapse thing kept happening to her hives EVERY year, I got free bees wax and made my own wax/oil mixture for cutting boards and gun stocks.

Member "Board Smith" sells the ready made mineral oil and bees wax as "board butter", I got a couple of tubs from him because it is cheaper to buy this from him than I can make it myself now that I have to BUY the bees wax.

http://www.theboardsmith.com/product-category/product-category/specialty-products/

20190402_104738.jpg

No need to buy expensive pre made conditioners.

If one doesn't want to make conditioner, Boos Mystery Oil is a simple "one step" oil and conditioner.
It's a thin blend of mineral oil, carnauba wax and beeswax that can be used instead of two steps of mineral oil followed by conditioner.
It's only $10 for 16oz. ($8 at Bed Bath & Beyond).

Dude, that is a kick-ass butcher block and prep area ! I live in a very very old house and have 1/3 of your space. Where did you get your beeswax from?

Thanks! I bought a chunk of beeswax from our local farmers market beekeeper. Heck, it might not even be cheaper, like Bert2368 said above. I just like making my own things :).

I just ordered a maple end grain board off of Etsy.
https://www.etsy.com/ca/transaction/1609120177
I had my eye on it for a while.
Turns out the store owner is shutting down for a while and most boards are 50% off till April 8th.
I have no affiliation with the store, just wanted to offer my findings of a good deal.

That's a nice and big board for that price!
Thanks!
I figured I better get a larger one so I'm not pining for one later down the road.
I was going to get it a few days ago at 25% off, I'm glad I waited.
I just got 2 stones last week so this forum is costing me, lol!
Still have to get a gyuto.

Think I'm going to go with classic old maple end grain. I was excited about larch for a bit due to its unique textures but the silica content bothers me. Plus there are probably good reasons why most boards are made of walnut, cherry and maple.

Great choice! Here's one I just finished up that will ship out tomorrow.
IMG_6704.JPG

I use Howard's Butcher Block conditioner. Similar stuff, available for $10 at the hardware store. Good on natural knife handles too.

Back