Big Hello! From England's Ribble Valley.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloWolF

Reaction score
Good day good folks!

I thought I'd already done this but I guess when I signed up, I just got myself lost in all the fabulous work.

By way of introduction, I'm a 54 year old bloke, name is Shaun, and I'm from the Ribble Valley, one of the many soggy parts of England.

When I had an insane nervous breakdown getting on for 2 decades ago, whilst trying to find things to do to keep me from a full meltdown, I discovered all the spalted wood locally and got into exploring it for knife handles and jewellery and such, and through this FloWolF designs was born.

I have health issues, physically and mentally, and am also what would be called 'neuro-divergent' these days, so I don't get near as much work done as I'd like but I've still made and sold enough to consider myself a professional maker.

I've made and sold between 30 and 40 knives so far, mostly curve bladed, full-tang mushroom foraging knives, a few woodlore style and other bushcraft knives and such, and a basic bevelled but good looking kitchen knife from 12c27M I made for us, most of these being done on a home made filing jig, although I now have a basic 2x72 in service and have more work in progress and finished, using that including my first proper attempt at a good convex grind chef knife from 14c28N hardened to 61-62 HRC that I'm a little bit in love with.

I like cooking plenty, but I'm no chef, so what I've read and seen here has a gone a fair way towards guiding how I finished up the knife in lieu of my own usage experience.

I've been dying to share photos for critique, unfortunately I appear to be locked between my phone and social media for these at the moment, and cannot seem to get them moved where I need them in order to post to forums as nothing wants to talk to my Linux Mint PC and my head is in no state to figure these things out.

Anyway, thanks again for the inspiration folks and if/when I figure things out I'll try and put some photos up.

Cheers!

Shaun/FloWolF

Glad you are here and would like to see some of your work. My son lived in London for five years and a got over there twice to visit. Most of our time in London, but got to Cornwall for a few days on one trip.

Welcome , look forward to seeing what you’re working on. There’s a fair few smiths up Manchester/Leeds/ Sheffield way so you’ll be in good company

Thanks for the welcomes!

I have a 3 burner gas forge, but apart from a single round of hardening treatment on some small, non-critical 12c27M blades, it goes unused - there's just not the space to safely fire it up and do any actual smithing in there, and I've yet to get any practice at that, not to mention my would-be makeshift anvils would essentially be vast bells and that would ruin the surrounding neighbours, so for now all my work is stock-removal style.

Cheers folks,

Shaun.

I managed to get the forums up on my phone yesterday so I could share some photos, so there's a bunch I posted of the knife I recently completed on the forum along with some details, but sorry I hadn't done a choil shot yet heheheh!

Thanks again,

Shaun/FloWolF

Back