BNIB knives??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a lot of knives BNIB lol; I have a system base on my own personal skill level, I approach the knives within the same price range, so I don’t screw up the knife lol.

I started only using knives below the 400usd range and slowly moving up to 1k range now.

My thought is that ppl can only move up not down; so if my first knife is so perfect, it limits my willingness to try new knives.

That's an unusual system. There are some $190 knives that cut better than $830 knives.

You're sitting on an immensely flippable stockpile.

I've been on knife buying hiatus for a few years, but my favorite thing when receiving a new knife was always inspecting it visually then inspecting how it cut food. And that was true whether it was $50 or $500 or more.

As somebody born with the "collector gene", I understand the impulse to keep one's knives looking pristine, but at the same time I personally find using them one of the best ways to enjoy them as well. I always read my old expensive comic books, and my most expensive bicycle is my favorite one to ride.

Last edited:
That's an unusual system. There are some $190 knives that cut better than $830 knives.

You're sitting on an immensely flippable stockpile.

The system makes perfect sense to me. For example: As much of a "newbie" I like to practice all the fun skill sets required; and I don't feel like thinning a 1k Honyaki as my first attempt.
Similar as I don't think I will want to learn how to drive in a super sports car.

The system makes perfect sense to me. For example: As much of a "newbie" I like to practice all the fun skill sets required; and I don't feel like thinning a 1k Honyaki as my first attempt.
Similar as I don't think I will want to learn how to drive in a super sports car.
Hardly a “newbie,” you really have some awesome knives! I hear you, likewise I’ve never sharpened my Shig yanagi—but have fun sharpening my Uraku deba.

Hardly a “newbie,” you really have some awesome knives! I hear you, likewise I’ve never sharpened my Shig yanagi—but have fun sharpening my Uraku deba.
Thank you man! my polishing and sharpening skills are zero to none lol. I have already destroyed 2 single bevels; hopefully soon I will get better at it and start moving up on my list to try.

Amateurs. Doesn't anyone else put their blades through a HT/quench cycle to optimize their personal edge hardness.. pfft

Oh, I do, but I usually test the steel hardness in the garbage disposal first.

(Ok, sorry... I'm done now. Seriously, I have to use it immediately, then sharpen it immediately if the edge isn't up to my standards.)

i dont even inspect when i get a new knife. it goes straight to cutting board.

I’ll sometimes admire and fondle a new knife for a day or two before use, getting to know it—though Marko went straight to work. Still haven’t unwrapped my new, big, King NEO stone.

Using knives and having the skill to sharpen them on japanese water stones is like a form of meditation and an art. Its a skill which you develop over the course of years and a must if you like your knifes razor sharp. The only knives i would keep binb are the tsukasa hinoura ones...since they are a work of art on their own and thining or sharpening them would be like vandalism from my point of view.

I know a guy who has many BNIB knives on his shelf and doesn’t touch them, kato shigs you name it.
For some odd reason he uses a TF m, go figure.

Are you disparaging TF??? I thought they were widely considered within the knife community to be very good “beaters” or project knives???

The less I know about the political and economic thinking of participants at non-political venues the happier I am. I don't think we can talk about this without talking about how to prioritize property rights within the larger social fabric or rentier Capitalism. Let us stick to knives, sharpening, food and drink. Learning the political views of some participants on other forums has often not been a happy experience.

Last edited:
I have one I bought impulsively a couple years back. Don't regret it though. I have others that I use daily .

What is my end goal with the one BNIB? It's not profit. There will come a time when the right person is looking for it. Like, really looking for it. And I will be able to pass it along to them to do with it what it was intended to do, at a much higher skill level then I could ever hope to accomplish.

personally, i'm of the "buy the best thing you can afford and then use the living crap out of it" school of thought. for example, i've had a drivers license for 31 years, but i'm only on my 4th vehicle, and have never sold one. the first 3 i drove until they were ready for the scrap heap. so when it comes to knives, i would never sell one used either, let alone BNIB.

that said, i know plenty of people who buy/sell/trade things all the time, and not all of them are speculators (though a few are). they enjoy the whole process, researching, buying, selling, as well as the thing itself. sometimes they buy two of a thing, one to use now and one to use later if they like the first one enough to wear it out. sometimes they buy ten of a thing, one to keep for themselves, and the other nine to fund their hobby. an active secondary market is a good thing, and i don't really buy the argument that speculators ruin it for everyone else. supply and demand will always balance out in the end.

Nothing wrong with my TF's (and Morihei Hisamoto). Total bargains vs all these overpriced 'collector' brands. I only wish the original TF's had the Jnat treatment provided by Morihei TFTFTF

Last edited:
i use every knife i own at least now and then. if i'm displeased with the knife ill offer it to any good chef i know i have respect for and who doesn't use harder steels so he can discover the thing. ill tell him to only cut unboned proteins to start.
i invest time maintaining mine however. grinding, thinning, polishing, etching all by hand with a few stones and polishing paste takes time. but they look awesome, they perform good to very good and i'm very happy with that.

a knife which isn't put to use is a pity in my opinion, but that's also why i dont go that much over the $300 line. So i can thin em over and over and still get good function over time. It's a good investment for a chef, and i refuse to play the speculating game, for me cancer of humanity is usury (but that's another story)

trade bait with collectors lol hahaha
You might laugh but it worked for me. Picked up a BNIB 210 WH from a collector, I might not otherwise have acquired given how quickly they sell and are coveted. This one is a keeper.

Amazing distal taper from 6.25mm out the handle, 5.5 above the heel and VERY fine tip. Slightly heavier than the usual 210WH and better for it for me.

Last edited:
how many have knives that you have never ever used, not even once?

Depends what you mean? :D

Basically zero...

I like expensive stuff myself. i rather buy 1 expensive good thing than 10 so-so things myself. i like quality.

I am similar.

The exception is; recently I have started picking out used knives in mediocre condition that could be made 'good'. A few chips here... some rust/pitting over there. I treat these as slow going restoration projects where the joy is not in using them... rather it is in bringing them back to a 'like new' condition - so from that point of view they are being 'used' by some measure! Since the cost of entry is low, I have swamped myself with 5... at the rate I move it will take a long time to fix them up!

Oh, I do, but I usually test the steel hardness in the garbage disposal first.

For a new knife I like to measure toughness by subjecting it to the good ole stress/strain test: can it open paint tins? You know... those really stuck ones where the paint has effectively adhered the interface together...

For a new knife I like to measure toughness by subjecting it to the good ole stress/strain test: can it open paint tins? You know... those really stuck ones where the paint has effectively adhered the interface together...

I usually open a few bottles of beer with a new knife..... This is maybe why i don`t like San Mai construction ;) .

Greets Sebastian.

I never use a knife that has a factory edge or someone else’s edge (unless I’m using someone else’s knives), hence I always need to put my own edge before even testing the knife. There lies the problem, however, that I don’t always get around to spending time on the stones, and some new knives end up sitting in storage for a very long time. Then when I do get around to sharpening it, I very occasionally ponder and think to myself whether I still want to use the knife. If so, I proceed with putting an edge on it. If not, it will eventually be sold BNIB.

I have a machete for home defense/zombie apocalypse that has not cut anything yet.

Back