(Brass) Alexander Pepper Mills - user reviews?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jferreir

Reaction score
What's the real-world difference between the Atlas, Athena, and Chef model of pepper mills? How difficult is the crank? What's the level of output relative to your typical Peugeot? What size/shape/weight do you find ideal?

I currently use a Peugeot Auberge, but it squeaks incessantly and takes far too long to grind 1 tbsp of pepper. Mineral oil has no effect, so I suspect the problem is with the grinding mechanism itself. The size/shape is comfortable, but after ~15 years, I'm done with Peugeot.

Which of the Alexander models above would you recommend? Does the lack of a hand crank make the Chef model more difficult to use? Is the weight of the 11" size a bit much? Does the flared base improve usability? Is the tapered body of the Athena more ergonomic?

Unfortunately, I don't have the option of trying these in person. I'm not interested in electric, plastic, or ceramic mills -- I want something simple, reliable, and made to last. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I owned a grass one. I don 't remember the model but it was 8-9". Hand crank is just fine, but output not as much as the best out there, such as Unicorn or some of the much higher end ones. It's def a fine product, but likely 2x the weight of yours or even more...

I like cranks and I have 3 smaller oxo cranks for that, but my main one is turn. Crank is always easier due to mechanical advantage. Can't really tell you which is the better model. I can just tell you that crank ones are easier to turn.

this is a great start, if lengthy; Pepper Mill Suggestions

After much back and forth I chose the Lynn, and am still smiling every time I use it. I reckon it's going to be the last pepper mill I ever bought, it's built to last.

I have two Atlases and prefer the crank. They aren't the most high output mills (but put out more than the cheap ones). I think they're great for the table and very good for the kitchen. For high output pepper, I rely on a Magnum. While the body is plastic, the burrs are high quality. I leave the Magnum on medium/coarse and the Atlas on fine so I always have the right grind (or close to it) accessible. I'd really like to have one of the high end machined mills that costs a couple hundred dollars, but that's very difficult to justify. Unless you compare it to my already unjustifiable kitchen purchasing habits...

I'm sure I'll get flamed for suggesting but this is flat out best pepper grinder for just about any task. Wet/oily hands, no problem. Course or super fine, no problem. Only real draw back is it grinds a lot of ***** pepper really quickly, and doesn't have biggest hopper. I own two now.

https://a.co/d/gtMasJI

I'm sure I'll get flamed for suggesting but this is flat out best pepper grinder for just about any task. Wet/oily hands, no problem. Course or super fine, no problem. Only real draw back is it grinds a lot of ***** pepper really quickly, and doesn't have biggest hopper. I own two now.

https://a.co/d/gtMasJI
why flamed? some of us have even pricier ones...

why flamed? some of us have even pricier ones...
The ridiculous ads. I've got a few nice hand grinders as well, mostly for coffee. I bought mine during the kickstarter campaign and received one of the first production models. Didn't really know what to expect but a year + later, I really dig it. So much so, I've bought several more as gifts for others. One quick tip I didn't pick up until later, twist the cup back on vs trying to force it on.

PS, they are sold on Amazon now. I've had no problem getting them.

The ridiculous ads. I've got a few nice hand grinders as well, mostly for coffee. I bought mine during the kickstarter campaign and received one of the first production models. Didn't really know what to expect but a year + later, I really dig it. So much so, I've bought several more as gifts for others. One quick tip I didn't pick up until later, twist the cup back on vs trying to force it on.

PS, they are sold on Amazon now. I've had no problem getting them.
if they perform, who cares about the rest :)

Back