Burrfection's New Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
KKF is a public forum where thousands of people with varying levels of experience, opinions, attitudes and senses of humor meet to discuss knife related topics of the day.
I would be quite sad if the day came where we couldn’t spread false information, misleading opinions, trade insults and insist that other people buy the knives we like.
Such is human nature.
Like +1 +10 +100
Pour this man a virtual beer

Also pressing up, x, down, b, L, y, R, a, start, select. Thats the code to summon chef doom to a thread right?

Last edited:
Am I the only one that recalls the kid got a crap ton of KS's during the recent release? Gotta believe he had folks (that knew what they were doing) measuring everything on these samples so he could better knock them off.
Poor form to me.

he got 10 of them for free. he also got them when they were not available on the regular places iirc

regarding his channel. you basically have to see it for what it is. its some kind of intro info to better knives than wusthoffs for non knife people pretty much. no advanced user have anything to gain there.

i want to be an influencer too. i think i could influence about 7 people. easily.

Just watched his Top 5 Sharpening basics. Sharp like a pro. Only 9 min. so easy to sit through. Believe me I have seen much worse sharpening U-Tubes. He is trying to give a lot of information in a short time so it is rushed skipping around in both action and speech. There is some good information in those 9 min. just not to useful for a beginning sharpener to put it together.

Don't know about the knives...but old Ricky sure does divide opinion...

My 2 cents...he's a shill...he has found a way to make money...and get plenty of toys...if there's a market for something someone will come along to fill it...

However he is turning a lot of people on to sharpening and Japanese knives...for better or worse...

Take care

Jeff
if its sharp enough to cut wet newspaper its sharp enough for me

Also pressing up, x, down, b, L, y, R, a, start, select. Thats the code to summon chef doom to a thread right?

Made me laugh twice in the one day....

.... are you sure we shouldn't bring back the like button!!

I have had several examples of AUS-10 and 440C, they are very much alike and I like them both. They are both wear-resistant on the stones, they both take a good edge, and they both have very decent edge retention. The Chinese seem to do a pretty good job with aus-10.

Ricky should do a video on eating rusty vintage razor blades.

Hey guys, Ryky Here - just kidding

When I found his channel a few years ago, I thought I had come across internet gold. I received some stuff from a few of his giveaways very early on and then I tried to troll him after his giveaways started to delay (around the time he was adding the pick a card and a suit etc) and I didn’t see any winners announced. His post schedule was pretty irregular then too.

The final straw was some advice he had given that I felt wasn’t genuine. He had posted a video about a paring knife that he was raving about it for use on the board to chop stuff. Long story short, I told him he had a greater responsibility to public rather than just market knives (it felt like an ad) and he called me a troll.

I feel like he plays the victim (maybe rightfully so) but since then I just avoided his channel. I mean if you tell your viewers you aren’t an expert or maybe even very knowledgeable regarding knives, why do it? Why make a knife (or a copy of a knife)? And why make videos calling out “scam” knife stores and then launch your own line. (I may have watched a few of his videos recently and now I need to pour some bleach in my eyes)

Im also of the opinion that people here are giving him a hard time. I no longer refer to his videos ever since I came across KKF, but Id be lying if I said that Burrfection's didnt help me build my interest when starting down this rabbit hole.

I do find his (sponsored) love for Dalstrong disturbing though, but it seems that he's been moving away from that as of late

Maybe this thread is dead, but I'm going to jump in anyway. It's obvious that very few people here are going to start a Ryky Tran fan club, and I get it, but I just wanted to say that Ryky was single-handedly responsible for getting me excited about sharpening again after years of having no interest. I was a decent (not great) sharpener when I got back into it, so I still had more I could learn. I've watched videos by Murray Carter, Cliff Stamp, the kid from Korin, and whoever else I could find on YouTube, and honestly, I think that it would be impossible to learn to sharpen watching Cliff, not easy to learn watching Murray (because he skips over a lot), and I'm not sure that I'd want to learn from the Korin kid. I think Ryky meets a need, for people relatively new to knives, and/or for beginner to intermediate sharpeners. There's no doubt that some of his videos are long, but when people started complaining about that, he posted a shorter/edited version within a few days.

Did he push Dalstrong for a while? Yes, but he stopped abruptly, seemingly at the same time the company started moving from VG-10 to AUS-10V. He recently did a video about VG-10 vs VG-MAX that made me think the VG-10 embargo against Chinese knife makers had something to do with him dropping Dalstrong. Does that speak to his integrity? Maybe, I don't know.

Perhaps its because he has presented himself as some sort of knife authority when in fact he appears to have minimal experience when compared to some at KKF.

More often than not, it seems that he says that he's not an expert, and his sharpening style is constantly evolving because he's always trying different things.

But as his channel grows, he's unquestionably had the opportunity to use a MUCH wider variety of knives and stones than most people.

There are a number of videos where he cuts all sort of veggies.

<snip, snip>
But a knife that cuts paper well may or may not cut food well…

<snip, snip>
In other words, if a knife cuts rope well, it may or may not cut food well…

If I want to know how well a knife cuts food I should be cutting—yes, you guessed it—food.

I do know that your post discussed his cutting of paper and rope pretty well, and I'd just like to say that depending on your testing technique, there may be no reason to cut anything to know it's sharp. Also, it seems to me that his rope test was much more efficient for testing edge retention than cutting food could ever be. Yes, he's done at least two where he cut lots of food.

he doesn't believe in keeping stones flat or thinning knives. Guy's a hack.

Murray Carter doesn't believe in flattening stones either.

----------
Do I think he's an expert or master? No, but neither does he. I'll say it… I like the guy. He seems to be a hard-working, humble, articulate guy who has a genuine interest in knives and stones, and he's sharing that interest with others, oftentimes better than the experts. Is that so terrible?

----------
Do I think he's an expert or master? No, but neither does he. I'll say it… I like the guy. He seems to be a hard-working, humble, articulate guy who has a genuine interest in knives and stones, and he's sharing that interest with others, oftentimes better than the experts. Is that so terrible?

DainBramage = BrainDamage?

Maybe this thread is dead, but I'm going to jump in anyway. It's obvious that very few people here are going to start a Ryky Tran fan club, and I get it, but I just wanted to say that Ryky was single-handedly responsible for getting me excited about sharpening again after years of having no interest. I was a decent (not great) sharpener when I got back into it, so I still had more I could learn. I've watched videos by Murray Carter, Cliff Stamp, the kid from Korin, and whoever else I could find on YouTube, and honestly, I think that it would be impossible to learn to sharpen watching Cliff, not easy to learn watching Murray (because he skips over a lot), and I'm not sure that I'd want to learn from the Korin kid. I think Ryky meets a need, for people relatively new to knives, and/or for beginner to intermediate sharpeners. There's no doubt that some of his videos are long, but when people started complaining about that, he posted a shorter/edited version within a few days.

Did he push Dalstrong for a while? Yes, but he stopped abruptly, seemingly at the same time the company started moving from VG-10 to AUS-10V. He recently did a video about VG-10 vs VG-MAX that made me think the VG-10 embargo against Chinese knife makers had something to do with him dropping Dalstrong. Does that speak to his integrity? Maybe, I don't know.

More often than not, it seems that he says that he's not an expert, and his sharpening style is constantly evolving because he's always trying different things.

But as his channel grows, he's unquestionably had the opportunity to use a MUCH wider variety of knives and stones than most people.

I do know that your post discussed his cutting of paper and rope pretty well, and I'd just like to say that depending on your testing technique, there may be no reason to cut anything to know it's sharp. Also, it seems to me that his rope test was much more efficient for testing edge retention than cutting food could ever be. Yes, he's done at least two where he cut lots of food.

Murray Carter doesn't believe in flattening stones either.

----------

I actually don't disagree with some of what you say, but, just to toss it out there: Sharpening videos from Broida taught me. Just give 'em a look. Good info.

Find me a JKI video on Kramers vs KS or the like (or pick whatever else that burrfection covered that no one else did) and I'll laugh with you ...

edit: that is not to diss JKI sharpening videos, those are actually really good, but we're discussing entire content library here.

Find me a JKI video on Kramers vs KS or the like (or pick whatever else that burrfection covered that no one else did) and I'll laugh with you ...

edit: that is not to diss JKI sharpening videos, those are actually really good, but we're discussing entire content library here.

Even though it's off my diet I'm going out and getting some popcorn right now.

yeah i guess im only talking about how to make a knife sharp (regardless of brand)...and if you want to learn then you'll do better to watch jki vids...if you want smack talk from someone who doesn't know then guess you can find it wherever you like on internet...here included...

We're talking about more than just how to sharpen knives ... you should know the content before complaining about it.

You have 5 pages here plus another few in the other thread ... you're waay of your diet.

Sharpening videos from Broida taught me. Just give 'em a look. Good info.

Same here. It's interesting because Jon has something to sell just like the Burrfection guy, but (to me anyway) he comes across more as someone who knows what he's talking about from deep experience, and not just pushing the flavor of the month based on the latest business deal.

It's not just sharpening vids on the JKI channel, there is some good info on knife steels and technique as well. He doesn't compare other knife brands than the ones he carries (obviously), but the channel is still a good general resource.

im not off my diet...u def dont know me...my diet rocks...ive read this entire worthless thread 3x over...still worthless

Ricky’s a hustler, an influencer who makes a living off naive people. Do your own research or believe his smoke.... he’s no different than any other car salesman. Who cares........ If he were the North American sole retailer for Konos, Shigs and Katos - you’d all love him!

I went for potato-based crackers instead of the popcorn, my diet still rockin too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back