Buying Rice?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who has an relatively accessible brown rice to recommend? I’m not trying to have a bag of rice shipped from Asia for 20-30USD. Take it easy on me.
I am partial to semi-polished, often labeled quick or easy cooking brown rice. Texture is closer to white rice, and nutrition is the same as brown rice. In order of price, Gen-Ji-Mai Quick Cooking,Nishiki Quick Cooking Brown Rice, and Sukoyaka Brown Genmai Rice are all good.

Who has an relatively accessible brown rice to recommend? I’m not trying to have a bag of rice shipped from Asia for 20-30USD. Take it easy on me.
Lundberg, available in many lengths, sometimes organic. I get mine bulk at my local food co-op, but it's widely available in many package formats.

This may be a controversial take, but I find that brand and varietal don’t matter quite as much with brown rice since you mostly taste the bran and germ anyways.

As long as you soak it before cooking and have decent rice cooking technique it’ll be tasty and delicious.

That being said, my favorite decently accessible brown rice brand is Kagayaki.
That's funny, I do the opposite! I get a cheaper white rice and put more money into my brown. Of course, I eat mostly 4:1 brown to white. Right now I have a short grain brown from Mogami that I found at ranch 99. Its probably a semi-polished rice as I don't do anything different than white rice besides push a different button on my rice cooker.

I got this recently and it has been really good: Hokkaido Yumepirika

Not sure if better or similar than my koshihikari unless I did a side by side, but I liked it

Gave this a shot since I am in the area and get free shipping. 100% still the most expensive rice I have bought lol. It is pretty damn tasty though. Maybe a touch on the softer side compared to what my ideal short grain rice would be but can't complain. Don't think it was overcooked but will try the quick setting on the rice cooker next time. Also bought a small amount of the 50% hulled just for variety. Weekday meal prep rice got an upgrade!

Yeah I gotta try the different milling option, might as well get some nutrients haha. Never been a straight "brown" rice kinda guy, but maybe I haven't had a good version of it

I’m pretty sure my parents just bought rice. it came in a burlap sack.

the next generation buys a specific rice.

@boomchakabowwow
Your parents also probably just bought a knife. It might have come in a box lol.
Cost-co Calrose gets boring. Variety is the spice of life. Would never have looked if this thread didn't pop up. I get your point though 😆.
my parents actually used a CCK cleaver. haha..

i get the allure of variety. i do. but some stuff is just meant to be boring. like computer paper. i am not seeking out great paper. or ketchup. Heinz or death..but that is it.

i once asked some guy at the tokyo fish market if i could see his knife and he looked at me like i was retarded. hahaha... it didnt look like it came in a box.

if it's about lifestyle either use brown, basmati or red rice, these have a far better glyceamic index (if not overcooked) than the white pure carbohydrate version. The amount of fiber is IMO negligable and can be had elsewhere quite easily so I stick to Basmati for the few occasions we eat rice.

oops forgot the risotto...Carnaroli it is, and acquarello if available....

Gave this a shot since I am in the area and get free shipping. 100% still the most expensive rice I have bought lol. It is pretty damn tasty though. Maybe a touch on the softer side compared to what my ideal short grain rice would be but can't complain. Don't think it was overcooked but will try the quick setting on the rice cooker next time. Also bought a small amount of the 50% hulled just for variety. Weekday meal prep rice got an upgrade!
You can also use the slow setting and cut water given the Hokkaido Yumepirika is listed as a 2022 harvest. Fresh new crop rice takes a shade less water to cook than old crop rice.

Back