Carbon knives and taste

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies to OP if I ended up hijacking the thread. About to get some Watanabe KU knives (nakiri and a petite) to cut fruits and vegetables so was curious what people's experiences were

Watanabe KU knives

In the theme of "it depends".... a KU knife will appear to be less reactive in the sense that there is less surface area of carbon steel exposed to food. Most of the surface area of the knife is relatively inert KU. Only the blade road will be reactive.

Watanabe has a fine reputation. I am sure you will enjoy them very much. I'll leave others to comment on their experience with them with regards to reactivity.

Not backed up by science but I think there's a quality of steel that impacts this as well. I can taste the knife on a freshly sharpened CCK but not as much on nicer steels.

About to get some Watanabe KU knives (nakiri and a petite) to cut fruits and vegetables so was curious what people's experiences were

If those are the professional series Watanabe knives, the blades are stainless clad blue steel.
Reactivity shouldn't be a problem.

Back