Chipped Moritakas? Never heard of of'em

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagnum

Poor choice maker
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people with Moritakas as well as many chipped not Moritakas but never a chipped Moritaka. Is this just because they are ground relatively thick? Because of the steel/heat treatment? The people that have them know better? I don't know but ooh I'm dying to find out

I've seen a lot of people with Moritakas as well as many chipped not Moritakas but never a chipped Moritaka. Is this just because they are ground relatively thick? Because of the steel/heat treatment? The people that have them know better? I don't know but ooh I'm dying to find out

Maybe you aren't trying hard enough. Splitting a chicken sternum is a good test. If it can do that next step is to try ice carving.

I have a Moritaka 180 nakiri in aogami 2 and it is neither chippy nor remotely close to thick behind the edge. The overall knife is thin and exceptionally slicey.

But in fairness, the only knives I've had that were chippy right out of the box were my Wat Pro nakiri and to a lesser extent, gyuto. The nakiri was fully zero ground and noticeably chippy. The gyuto was close to zero but not quite and comparably less chippy. A sharpening or two rectified that.

Now, if you need any kind of push to try out a Moritaka, my nakiri is currently tied for my favorite knife. I know the bunka's get a lot of love too. Not sure about their gyuto's.

I have a Moritaka 180 nakiri in aogami 2 and it is neither chippy nor remotely close to thick behind the edge. The overall knife is thin and exceptionally slicey.

But in fairness, the only knives I've had that were chippy right out of the box were my Wat Pro nakiri and to a lesser extent, gyuto. The nakiri was fully zero ground and noticeably chippy. The gyuto was close to zero but not quite and comparably less chippy. A sharpening or two rectified that.

Now, if you need any kind of push to try out a Moritaka, my nakiri is currently tied for my favorite knife. I know the bunka's get a lot of love too. Not sure about their gyuto's.
I definitely don't need any coaxing to get a Moritaka I've already got 3 and I've also found them to be pretty robust. I wouldn't say they are thick behind the edge they definitely get pretty meaty before shinogi line, at least mine sure did. It may also be that we have different ideas of what we mean by thick because I've yet to see a stock Moritaka that doesn't look like it needs a little work. Looks can be deceiving though

I'm realizing that most chipped knife posts I've seen have been on reddit and of more flashy knives so it's probably because the venn diagram of people who post pics of chipped knives and own Moritakas doesn't have a ton of overlap

I definitely don't need any coaxing to get a Moritaka I've already got 3 and I've also found them to be pretty robust. I wouldn't say they are thick behind the edge they definitely get pretty meaty before shinogi line, at least mine sure did. It may also be that we have different ideas of what we mean by thick because I've yet to see a stock Moritaka that doesn't look like it needs a little work. Looks can be deceiving though

My nakiri right on the shoulder measures .008" at the tip and .01" at the heel.

I've read the gyutos are thicker.

I'm realizing that most chipped knife posts I've seen have been on reddit and of more flashy knives so it's probably because the venn diagram of people who post pics of chipped knives and own Moritakas doesn't have a ton of overlap
You'd be surprised at what knives people are able to chip.

My nakiri right on the shoulder measures .008" at the tip and .01" at the heel.

I've read the gyutos are thicker.
I can say for certain yes. I don't have calipers to measure but I'd bet even after some light thinning and rounding of the shoulders that my gyuto is still thicker. Cuts like a dream now but with the hard shoulder it was a nightmare to even dice an onion

I read those measurements as mm not inches... that would be non existent, it's been a long day.

You'd be surprised at what knives people are able to chip.
I've seen victorinox with big "chips" although it's more like rip/tear with steel that soft. I was definitely surprised

On the other hand, I have never seen a chipped CM. Maybe look into getting one of ththose.
As soon as I realized what CM was had a good laugh. Those knives still blow me away but not in the way she was going for. It doubling as a zester means it can suck at even more kitchen tasks! Oh boy!

Back