Chisel woodwork question.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you can look beyond rust and botched grinds or a rehandle job you may be able to find great old chisels at fleamarkets, at least here in my region I keep bumping into them...nowadays hardlay anybody knows how to use them or knows what they are for. Some restoration work, as long as there still is usable length in them (most somehow seem to have about half left) and you're in business for little money.
Yeah, as long as they work I couldn't care about the looks. What are some notable brands to keep an eye out for, with the older chisels?

Of the British makers, Ward, Addis, sorby, mawhood are all nice, marples and footprint are a bit more common and almost as good

Thanks for the info, I actually think I made improvement today. Not sure if it's the new chisels, lighter taps, or taking less material. But didn't have any tearout.

Yeah those are a bit out of my range for 1 chisel. But the Narex set is definitely more sensible price wise.

Hah, I got some research to do on different chisel types. I definitely need a gouge of some type to get tight rounded corners where the 1/4" can't cut. The wider ones I just slowly work with the 1/4".

I'm not sure if I'm reading that last sentence properly, but, if you're looking at getting "round corners", just use a drill and bit.

Regarding old chisels, add Barr and Swan to the list, as well as the old Stanley SweetHeart socket chisels. Buck Bros. is another. If you're really lucky, you might find some Lie-Neilsen chisels in a yard/estate sale.

Last edited:
Back