coping with the inevitable

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So it finally happened, the drop resulting in an approximately 4mm X 4mm chip in my S. Kamo AS 180mm nakiri. I'd like some advice from the more experienced on how to approach a repair. My first inclination is to just try to sharpen out the chip which would accentuate the curve of the tip. I'm a beginning sharpener with a King 1000 as my coarsest whetstone. The other obvious option would be to shorten the knife by 4mm and keep the same angle of the front edge as the original knife. I would have to go pro for that repair as I don't think it is within my abilities (or tools). Trying to avoid doing something stupid I might regret. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1606.jpeg
    IMG_1606.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1607.jpeg
    IMG_1607.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Ehhh, seems like you can get away with just rounding it off. Any course stone will do.

This isn't bad at all! Just round the tip, cutting the entire front end off the knife isn't necessary. Not sure which line of his this is but Kamo normally runs his steel fairly hard. Your 1k may not be the best stone for this but since it's at the front and pretty small I'm not sure it's worth buying a new coarse stone.

This isn't bad at all! Just round the tip, cutting the entire front end off the knife isn't necessary. Not sure which line of his this is but Kamo normally runs his steel fairly hard. Your 1k may not be the best stone for this but since it's at the front and pretty small I'm not sure it's worth buying a new coarse stone.

Good point, I think maybe whatever he’s got to flatten the stone should do the trick here.

Round it out. 1k won't do it. Best to get a coarse stone. You'll need one for other things sooner or later. But, if you have to, rub it on the sidewalk. I'd probably hold it by the spine, handle in the air. Dull the edge before you start.

Now expect some guy telling you you don't deserve that nakiri and how dare you drop it when they have 7 years waiting to buy one!

Btw, always curious how a serrated nakiri looks like! Be a man, get a Dremel!

Come on, I see a santoku coming out of that {/s]

Agree with the suggestions to just round it. You’ll probably want to do a few sketches of various curves/angles first, then draw your desired line on the blade in sharpie before starting vs just winging it.

Latest posts

Back