Croatia Recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm honeymooning for 2 weeks in Croatia next year end of April/early May. This community seems quite well-traveled so I'd love some recommendations on cool things to do/places to eat/general tips from y'all.

Flying into Zagreb, going to rent a car and bop around that part of the country for a week then head down to Dubrovnik and do the coastal/Mediterranean stuff for a change of pace before heading back up and flying out of Zagreb. We've talked about exploring around southern Slovenia as well.

We're both avid hikers, foodies, nature lovers, and are happy to explore off the beaten path. The national parks in Croatia are particularly enticing to me. Growing up in FL I tend to detest tourist traps. Nothing set in stone except the flights are already booked, just getting to planning itinerary phase so I'd love some input if y'all have any.

I used an agency called secret Dalmatia
They were amazing. The had access to experiences that only book thru them
Had a cooking experience in a 14th century home in Trôgir and lunched in botanical gardens featured in game of thrones
Also was in Split during European Ultra- very visually interesting
If your not averse to travel agents I’d use them

Since you’ve got a car, if you’re OK going down the coast a little further from Dubrovnik, the Bay of Kotor (and the town of Kotor) is very much worth seeing.

Montenegrin food isn’t great in general compared with its neighbours’, but there’s also a fantastic-sounding restaurant in that area called Ćatovića Mlini (which sadly we couldn’t line up our schedule to eat at).

There’s also a new wild river park in Albania that that can give you some real off the beaten path street cred…
Albania is a wonderful (and still surprisingly under-the-radar) recommendation, but IMO there’s so much to see and do there that it’d have to be a whole separate trip — especially if you’re starting and ending in Zagreb. You really need a two week trip just for Albania alone.

Last edited:
It's worth a trip out to Plitvice National Park if you want to go a bit off the beaten track. It is a really well structured national park and there is some stunning scenery, but it's as popular with tourists as it is beautiful, so take that into consideration. Some of the best food of the trip was made by the owner of the B&B we were staying at too, so that helped to elevate our experience there.

DSCF5341.jpg
DSCF5293.jpg
DSCF5282.jpg
DSCF5251.jpg

We did some glamping in Hvar and really enjoyed unwinding and swimming and paddle boarding around the semi-private beach. The island itself is also beautiful and we really enjoyed the food there.

DSCF4968.jpg
DSCF4974.jpg
DSCF4952.jpg

The walls of Dubrovnik are really something to see and the cliffs and coves are also spectacular, but I have never visited a more artificial feeling city (I'm talking about the old town within the walls). The food was also good here, but we ate exclusively outside of the old town. I wouldn't recommend spending more than 2-3 days in Dubrovnik tbh.

DSCF4772.jpg
DSCF4682 2.jpg
DSCF4794.jpg

If you want any more specific information, feel free to hit me up.

It's worth a trip out to Plitvice National Park if you want to go a bit off the beaten track. It is a really well structured national park and there is some stunning scenery, but it's as popular with tourists as it is beautiful, so take that into consideration. Some of the best food of the trip was made by the owner of the B&B we were staying at too, so that helped to elevate our experience there.

View attachment 276189View attachment 276190View attachment 276191View attachment 276192

We did some glamping in Hvar and really enjoyed unwinding and swimming and paddle boarding around the semi-private beach. The island itself is also beautiful and we really enjoyed the food there.

View attachment 276193View attachment 276194View attachment 276195

The walls of Dubrovnik are really something to see and the cliffs and coves are also spectacular, but I have never visited a more artificial feeling city (I'm talking about the old town within the walls). The food was also good here, but we ate exclusively outside of the old town. I wouldn't recommend spending more than 2-3 days in Dubrovnik tbh.

View attachment 276197View attachment 276198View attachment 276199

If you want any more specific information, feel free to hit me up.
Plitvice was one of the biggest draws for me, absurdly beautiful. This is great, thank you. I'll reach out when we start booking stuff soon

I went about 17 or 18 years ago so most recommendations would be out of date, but it would be good to do some travel by ferry or take some kind of boating excursion, the water and islands all along the coast are beautiful. I took a ferry trip from Rijeka to Dubrovnik, which took about 24 hours if I remember right, and it was a highlight of the trip.

I went about 17 or 18 years ago so most recommendations would be out of date, but it would be good to do some travel by ferry or take some kind of boating excursion, the water and islands all along the coast are beautiful. I took a ferry trip from Rijeka to Dubrovnik, which took about 24 hours if I remember right, and it was a highlight of the trip.
Yeah I definitely want to poke around the islands. Fiance is a marine bio so she's all about it, though ironically, is prone to seasickness.

Any issue bringing a travel knife in checked baggage to Croatia? A quick googling makes it seem ok but I haven't done a full deep dive.

We'll be hopping between a few airbnbs for 2 weeks so toying with the idea of bringing a knife to make cooking more pleasant. But could also just be safe and bring a stone to fix whatever crap the rental has.

Plitvice was one of the biggest draws for me, absurdly beautiful. This is great, thank you. I'll reach out when we start booking stuff soon
Plitvice is also a really good stopover between Zagreb and Dubrovnik - I would strongly recommend.

Split was also great when I visited about 10 years ago, but it may have a little bit more of a party vibe these days. Still a super cool place that is a great springboard for some island hopping.

I’m not sure if it’s still the case, but truffles were absurdly cheap there when I visited, so I’d recommend rinsing the opportunity if you’re into them.

Plitvice is also a really good stopover between Zagreb and Dubrovnik - I would strongly recommend.

Split was also great when I visited about 10 years ago, but it may have a little bit more of a party vibe these days. Still a super cool place that is a great springboard for some island hopping.

I’m not sure if it’s still the case, but truffles were absurdly cheap there when I visited, so I’d recommend rinsing the opportunity if you’re into them.
We're staying in Ogulin for a week specifically to be in easy driving distance to explore Plitvice and some other cool nature/parks in the area. I'm stoked.

Next is Dubrovnik for a few days, then a few more in Kastel Stori outside of Split to get the coastal vibes for the Lady. Everything I read made it seem those Kastels outside of Split were less touristy and more local while still in good location. A little more time in Zagreb as well.

We're staying in Ogulin for a week specifically to be in easy driving distance to explore Plitvice and some other cool nature/parks in the area. I'm stoked.

Next is Dubrovnik for a few days, then a few more in Kastel Stori outside of Split to get the coastal vibes for the Lady. Everything I read made it seem those Kastels outside of Split were less touristy and more local while still in good location. A little more time in Zagreb as well.
sounds like a great itinerary!

I visited Slovenia two years ago and thought it was incredible - you have definitely chosen countries with some stunning landscapes.

Back