Current value of US Dollar

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PappaG

Reaction score
I'm not very savvy when it comes to exchange rates, but lately it seems that exchange rates are bad, or not optimal for those in the US seeking to purchase internationally. In particular I'm thinking JNS, Japan and the euro.

Is the dollar especially weak now? Is now - end of the year 2020, a bad, or less optimal time to purchase abroad, or are knife prices just going up? Or maybe both?

Any thoughts?

If you Google "value of dollar," you can find out historical data of the USD vs other currencies.

Just check the international exchange rate historical graphs...the $ is definitely been down compared to the Euro since June

USD is pretty poor vs JPY but still very favorable when buying in the UK and Europe (Euro)

VAT in the EU makes a big difference approx 19-21%, let's not even discuss cars...Governments in countries like Denmark Netherlands etc add a hefty sum to the total price and then VAT gets added.

Without becoming political, taxes are fine...I am considering myself lucky to have the privilege of paying a sh*%load of taxes, it's just that I seriously doubt the way the money is spent. NO company in its right mind can get away with asking more money for less service while claiming they are saving cost.

Topic was exchange rate BTW ;-), as the EU is currently printing money at a similar rate as the US that exchange rate will likely not be affected much...

I’m just more surprised they aren’t lowering the exchange rate to allow more foreign investment. Considering how COVID is hitting everyone.

Does anyone have any opinions on how to save some money while purchasing from JNS? Some combination of cards and paypal?

Back