Customer service question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry if this question isn't allowed to be here, but I can't find it on the forums.. Is paypal goods and services the only recommended payment method? Or is there another payment method most members use on here?

Thanks everyone. I wasn’t sure what people chose for payments if not PayPal so I wanted to ask

The forum in public posts requires PayPal, and PayPal requires Good and Services for sales of items.

What you do in the DMs is your own business.
meaning it's ok to not use paypal? I don't use it, havent in years. They screwed me over a number of years back.

Even then, you're not supposed to demand it.
For sure - demand and request are two different things though.

Ultimately it comes down to exercising sound judgement and not getting carried away when something spicy drops on BST.

Yep. When a transaction involves currency conversion the exchange rates that paypal uses are atrocious, adding quite a lot to the cost for the buyer. Wise uses close to true market exchange rates.
PayPal has kept me from buying international a few times. I have an expected amount in my head and then PP comes in like 10% higher, almost every time

When buying international I never use my PayPal balance as the exchange is always worse. I just use PayPal to pay with my credit card as the rates are better.
This is the way to avoid the awful paypal exchange rate. Use paypal, but use a credit card as the form of payment and then select to use the credit card processor as currency converter. It will be a lot closer to the real rate instead of the rate plus 3-4%.

When buying international I never use my PayPal balance as the exchange is always worse. I just use PayPal to pay with my credit card as the rates are better.
This...or just let paypal pull it off your bank account and let the bank do the conversion, that always gives me the best rates.

This is the way to avoid the awful paypal exchange rate. Use paypal, but use a credit card as the form of payment and then select to use the credit card processor as currency converter. It will be a lot closer to the real rate instead of the rate plus 3-4%.

I couldn’t figure out how to do this (use the credit card for the conversion) the last time I used paypal internationally, despite a fair amount of googling (my screen didn’t match instructions). I finally gave up and figured it was a forced money-grab from paypal. Have you done it recently?

I couldn’t figure out how to do this (use the credit card for the conversion) the last time I used paypal internationally, despite a fair amount of googling (my screen didn’t match instructions). I finally gave up and figured it was a forced money-grab from paypal. Have you done it recently?

I did it recently, just selected my card as payment source.

Different paypal question but thought it might be appropriate to post here to avoid creating a new thread - has anyone had issues with paypal putting funds on hold after they've been sent to a seller, and how do you get paypal to release the funds to the seller so they can send the knife?

PayPal international just got worse. They charge a transaction fee on top of the conversion fee for card payments. So even with a fee-free foreign currency exchange card and paying in the foreign currency, just paying from bank with Wise using their conversion ended up being way cheaper.

Different paypal question but thought it might be appropriate to post here to avoid creating a new thread - has anyone had issues with paypal putting funds on hold after they've been sent to a seller, and how do you get paypal to release the funds to the seller so they can send the knife?
The sellers funds are on hold? Is there account new? If so, that's why.

I've had it happen more than once as a seller - PayPal puts the buyer's payment into limbo until a review happens. Usually done within 24 hours from my experience

Yes, I've had it happen as a buyer with an expensive knife and it was kind of terrifying.
pp.jpeg

The sellers funds are on hold? Is there account new? If so, that's why.
In my case, I suspect it's because I used the word "damascus" in the notes in PP. I know from r/knifeswap that nobody puts notes in PP anymore in case certain key words relating to weapons are flagged.

It was also during a fairly serious knife binge, so volume of purchases could also be a factor?

I've had it happen more than once as a seller - PayPal puts the buyer's payment into limbo until a review happens. Usually done within 24 hours from my experience
It took around 48 hours to resolve for me. I tried to chat with PP to resolve it proactively, but in the end, the payment just went through by itself after review.

Many thanks for all the useful feedback - helpful to know this is not an isolated incident!

I haven’t seen your particular situation, but on the selling side I’ve had funds put on hold until a few days after delivery. In those cases I had to put the tracking number into the transaction so paypal could see when the package was delivered.

I haven’t seen your particular situation, but on the selling side I’ve had funds put on hold until a few days after delivery. In those cases I had to put the tracking number into the transaction so paypal could see when the package was delivered.
But from the seller's perspective how does that work for you as a seller - you don't have the funds to ship the item, nor do you have the security of actually having the funds before putting the item in the post.

Back