De Buyer Mandoline vs Benriner

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hualicopter

Reaction score
Looking to get a mandoline. I've come across the De Buyer in my searches which doesn't seem to be reviewed as often as it seems like every kitchen is using Benriner. Any point in splurging for a used De Buyer vs just getting a Super benriner for a wee bit cheaper?

Looking to get a mandoline. I've come across the De Buyer in my searches which doesn't seem to be reviewed as often as it seems like every kitchen is using Benriner. Any point in splurging for a used De Buyer vs just getting a Super benriner for a wee bit cheaper?

They are different beasts. It depends on what you are using them for. It is kind of like comparing a Wusthof to a Watanabe. One is more big and heavy and indestructible. The other is plastic-y and light and indestructible. I have owned and used both types in pro kitchens. I would lean toward a metal one because at work because they tend to last longer. But at home it really doesn't matter. I have a Benriner one at home and I honestly never use it. I just use a knife. I have a Benriner spiral slicer too. That thing gets used twice a month for zucchini noodles. One cut I can't do with a knife.

They are different beasts. It depends on what you are using them for. It is kind of like comparing a Wusthof to a Watanabe. One is more big and heavy and indestructible. The other is plastic-y and light and indestructible. I have owned and used both types in pro kitchens. I would lean toward a metal one because at work because they tend to last longer. But at home it really doesn't matter. I have a Benriner one at home and I honestly never use it. I just use a knife. I have a Benriner spiral slicer too. That thing gets used twice a month for zucchini noodles. One cut I can't do with a knife.
In my case, it would be primarily to slice meat thinly as well as julienne carrots, taro, jicama to make egg rolls. I have done it with a knife before, but it takes me absolutely forever, and I'm hoping to find a way to speed up the proceess. That said I don't suspect I'll use the mandoline more than once a month. I've found some cheap De Buyers on eBay that look pretty tempting.

In my case, it would be primarily to slice meat thinly as well as julienne carrots, taro, jicama to make egg rolls. I have done it with a knife before, but it takes me absolutely forever, and I'm hoping to find a way to speed up the proceess. That said I don't suspect I'll use the mandoline more than once a month. I've found some cheap De Buyers on eBay that look pretty tempting.

I think the de buyers would be better for that use case (meat). The stainless has less drag than the plastic.

I own both. My debuyer is SSi monster in the best way. It does all things and doesn't blink ... My only complaint is blades are really really expensive to replace.... Like needlessly expensive. Like to the tune of almost $100 usd. Benriner blades are like 10 bucks..... The only real advantage of the DE Buyer is the size and weight . It's ideal for a commercial kitchen , but honestly over kill for home use . I honestly don't use it much . I only have it it because I got it for $5 at goodwill..... My Benriner gets all the love, honestly.

I own both. My debuyer is SSi monster in the best way. It does all things and doesn't blink ... My only complaint is blades are really really expensive to replace.... Like needlessly expensive. Like to the tune of almost $100 usd. Benriner blades are like 10 bucks..... The only real advantage of the DE Buyer is the size and weight . It's ideal for a commercial kitchen , but honestly over kill for home use . I honestly don't use it much . I only have it it because I got it for $5 at goodwill..... My Benriner gets all the love, honestly.
You can sharpen the blades.

You can sharpen the blades.
I'm very aware.....when I bought it the blade was missing , so I didn't really have a choice .... But if it is a regular use item the blade will eventually need to be replaced regardless . It is still a cost to be considered

Hmm. The De Buyer I'm looking at is missing the 2mm Julienne blade which I would want to get in the future. Which De Buyer model did you get?

Back