Decommissioned weapons for handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Danny

Sorry about that pineapple pizza thing
Reaction score
One of the local gun shops was forced by the government to junk old shotguns (side/side) without serial numbers.
I got in touch with them and I now have more than enough wood to go along for a long time 😅

This will for sure be a quiet thread, but had to share my excitement for this “upcycling” project
Haven’t got a clue yet, what kind of wood we are talking, but the guns are more or less over 60+ years.

IMG_0106.jpeg

The higher end stuff is likely figured Walnut. The lower end mostly beech. Top right stock is my fav by a long shot (see what I did there :)) showing off its tiger striping.

Last edited:
Who was riding shotgun on the way home?

I'm here all week, try the veal

I'm excited to see what you do with these. Some are not going to be fun to work with. I have redone some older guns and the amount of oil in some of the stocks is amazing.

I'm excited to see what you do with these. Some are not going to be fun to work with. I have redone some older guns and the amount of oil in some of the stocks is amazing.
I put an old Bohler (Italian) Royal Special stock in turpentine hoping to suck out all the oil......after 9 months it still wasn't all out so I just refinished it anyways.....6 years later it still smells like turpentine

I would bet that many of these are stained, or a lot of color built up from wear over the years. The actual color of the underlying wood is probably going to be different from what you see on the current surface.

Was kinda expecting them to have a high quantity of oil in them, but just couldn’t resist the offer. I’ll start off with some monos and see where it takes me.
Could be really fun if they worked out and was paired with the wrought irons we make.

They need to have a high level of finish, otherwise they will pull the overall aesthetics of the knife down. Guess time will tell

In the middle, 3,4 and 5 from the top and down has some nice structure to it.

Back