Diamond Spray Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I just got a new strop. My old one was on a stick and I used that green waxy bar for the leather.

My new one has a base and came with diamond emulsion spray. 1.0 grit I believe.

Well I used it for the first time and have been absolutely blown away by the results.

So two question-
1- how often should you spray your leather
2- are there any significant differences in 0.5 grit or 1.5 grit spray.

Thanks as always
Southpaw

The measurement you're looking for is micron (1 micron).

1. Re-spray when you aren't getting the results you want. Not being flippant but it really depends on how often you're stropping and the spray itself. In very general terms, you can get some pretty good life out of it provided you spray your strop rather generously to start.

2. I personally say you're fine with 1 micron.

;)

1. Re-spray when you aren't getting the results you want. Not being flippant but it really depends on how often you're stropping and the spray itself. In very general terms, you can get some pretty good life out of it provided you spray your strop rather generously to start.

;)

Oh come on now!

;)

Ya I knew that Micron unit of the measurement… my dad would be so disappointed in me.

I was really shocked on how effective this stuff is. Thanks for your help

A light spray before I use it on a few knives works great. Don’t want to get the strop too wet. .5 is about 3X as fine as 1.5;) 1um is about the equivalent of a 10,000 - 15,000 grit stone.

You can also directly buy 1.5µm diamond powder (W 0.5) .I apply it with mineral oil on the stop. Works fine.

I’ve never had a strop do anything but pull teeth off my edge. What have you liked about the results of stropping?

I recently started playing around with stropping. Agreed that over stropping leads to glassy edges that aren’t the best for kitchen use. What I’ve found is that a few (no more than 3-4 per side) very light strokes across a loaded strop helps me guarantee I’ve gotten the burr fully removed and leads to longer edge life. Obviously if I was more efficient with that on the stones than I wouldn’t need a strop at all. When I’m in a rush to get things touched up it’s nice to not have to labor over that final burr removal as much on the stones and trust that a few swipes on the strop will take care of any stubborn remnants for me.

I’ve never had a strop do anything but pull teeth off my edge. What have you liked about the results of stropping?

What I have found is that using a 12K stone or 1u strop after 3k refines the edge. Going through paper it does so smoother, and is still incredibly toothy. I do about a half dozen passes per side.

Ok thank you both that really helps put things in context! I think the particulars really matter here. Both mid grit to strop, and just a handful of passes. Sounds like I have project…

Try stropping on cardboard or denim to start. You can put a little wheel polish or whatever on it if you want. It'll give a touch of refinement but still be toothier than other mediums. Diamond spray on something like a flat, smooth, paint stick can be nice too. Just some alternatives to play with maybe before diving in.

Agreed but..... Some times those teeth are ruminants of a burr so good to come off and, using a high micron size diamond paste on a strop can help insure a burr free edge and add tooth :)

When I use a leather strop only do it once each side.
Same thing taking off residual burr with a newspaper two stokes each side enough.

Sharpening more does not equate to better.
Even with stones minimal amount to get a sharp edge. With good technique you will take only as much steel is needed as not to wear down your blade by over sharpening.

Back