Japanese Knives Diamond stone set again?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure these may be expensive but for most people they should be the last stones they ever buy. Are there any left? Question though how would these work on German knives? I know they don't do well with the higher grits usually. If I got these they would need to work on Germans and Japanese knives. Is 1k too much for Germans?

Can't say it was customs wad in abd out of there in a few hours just seems postage likes to take its time getting to aus. But in better news have used then briefly and i can say my gesshin ginga W2 responded really well to it. Also used it on my ealy damascus gyuto and an aritsugu gyuto. I had heard that aritsugus can be a pain to sharpen bur didn't have too much of an issue

Umm after giving the 1k and the 6k a good once over with the supplied nagura all i can say is AWESOME SAUCE!!!! SOO FAST and good results! I LOVE KKF AND JON!

You should ask. They are really awesome.

I was on the fence until I realized that out of however many Jon has sold NONE have shown up on BST. Zero. Nothing else has that track record.

True story, love mine never putting them up for sale

Hands down my most used set/combo to date. Thanks again Jon. Well worth the price.

These stones make you sell your other stones.

Look at my BST listings. If the coarse wasn't $400 I would buy it tomorrow. Hell if somebody buys that Ohira I may just spend the 400 on the coarse stone.

I kind of want another 6k so I can leave it at work.

I just bought a knife from BST from Pensacola Tiger. He used the 6k as a finisher and the edge was truly unbelievable. Ill definitely sign up next time a list is formed.

To users that like the wide bevels. I rubbed a nagura sized Hakka from JNS all over the 6k to make a little mud and got some respectable contrast. Not what I'd call a kasumi finish, but it didn't suck.

If these are not manufactured by Naniwa Abrasive then who makes them? I think it is absurd to endorse products while hiding the manufacture. Since your product is priced comparably to the Naniwa products, I'd like to know the primary difference.

Good idea, then others can copy the product and undercut the price leaving Jon out of the game.

Good idea, then others can copy the product and undercut the price leaving Jon out of the game.
:rofl2:

Since your product is priced comparably to the Naniwa products, I'd like to know the primary difference.

i have both, the naniwa is slower cutting and feels harder, better feedback on the ones jon sells.

If these are not manufactured by Naniwa Abrasive then who makes them? I think it is absurd to endorse products while hiding the manufacture. Since your product is priced comparably to the Naniwa products, I'd like to know the primary difference.

i think you'd be surprised by the number of products in your life that you have no clue who actually makes. That being said, its important to keep in mind that not all manufacturers want to have their name out there. Many dont want to have anything about them shared publicly. As to the primary differences... i find these to cut faster and provide significantly better tactile feedback.

If these are not manufactured by Naniwa Abrasive then who makes them? I think it is absurd to endorse products while hiding the manufacture./QUOTE]

I find your notion absurd. There are proprietary processes and proprietary materials in most products we use. Do you think Coke should tell you how it is made so that you can compare it to Pepsi? What steel does Shig use? Shig steel. These stones meet and exceed all functional specs. They work fine and last a long time. I can endorse them as such.

If these are not manufactured by Naniwa Abrasive then who makes them? I think it is absurd to endorse products while hiding the manufacture./QUOTE]

I find your notion absurd. There are proprietary processes and proprietary materials in most products we use. Do you think Coke should tell you how it is made so that you can compare it to Pepsi? What steel does Shig use? Shig steel. These stones meet and exceed all functional specs. They work fine and last a long time. I can endorse them as such.

I'm going to second this.

Needless to day of all that have been sold to forum members not a single member has gone and put them on BST.

If you don't agree with the secrecy then don't buy them. But then again to continue points... do you not buy the drugs your doctor prescribes to you because pharma doesn't reveal what is in them and how they are made?

Not to be argumentative, but pharma discloses exactly what is in your meds and exactly how they are made. That info is typically in patent applications which are readily available.

(You should just expect an army of attorneys beating down your door if you try to make use of that information to make a profit for yourself.)

Not to be argumentative, but pharma discloses exactly what is in your meds and exactly how they are made. That info is typically in patent applications which are readily available.

Yeah i realised it was a bad example as soon as i hit send.

Though what they tell you is practically useless to 99.99% of the population.

I just get frustrated with people demanding to know what essentially is useless information.

"Good idea, then others can copy the product and undercut the price leaving Jon out of the game." Theory.

Hey Theory...why don't you tell your customers in your restaurant that you can't tell them where the food came from because you might be priced out of the game? Is it a game to you to offer quality? I don't care how skilled you are as a chef, that is a pathetic answer.

John Broida says "i think you'd be surprised by the number of products in your life that you have no clue who actually makes. That being said, its important to keep in mind that not all manufacturers want to have their name out there. Many dont want to have anything about them shared publicly. As to the primary differences... i find these to cut faster and provide significantly better tactile feedback."

They cut faster and provide better feedback to what John? You won't tell us what they are being compared to, so we are expected to pay you 300$ to find out. I don't think you deserve to make blanket statements about comparing your product to something that we don't even know what you are comparing it to.

"Good idea, then others can copy the product and undercut the price leaving Jon out of the game." Theory.

Hey Theory...why don't you tell your customers in your restaurant that you can't tell them where the food came from because you might be priced out of the game? Is it a game to you to offer quality? I don't care how skilled you are as a chef, that is a pathetic answer.

John Broida says "i think you'd be surprised by the number of products in your life that you have no clue who actually makes. That being said, its important to keep in mind that not all manufacturers want to have their name out there. Many dont want to have anything about them shared publicly. As to the primary differences... i find these to cut faster and provide significantly better tactile feedback."

They cut faster and provide better feedback to what John? You won't tell us what they are being compared to, so we are expected to pay you 300$ to find out. I don't think you deserve to make blanket statements about comparing your product to something that we don't even know what you are comparing it to.

you asked about the naniwa, so was comparing to those

He isn't expecting you to pay for anything. If he is offering a product which people can choose to buy if they want. There is enough review and comment and even some video. If that ain't enough for you to decide then don't consider buying.

How is him telling you who makes it any different than what has been said already?

And quite often chefs what reveal a full recipe for certain dishes because they have their secret ingredients. So bad call on Theory. I would back him of he chose not to disclose the source of his ingredients. It is his perogative and he would love and die by who l view it tastes not if you know where it comes from.

Do you or don't you do business with Naniwa Abrasives? Yes or no...simple question.

Am I going to take business from you? Heck no... I can't afford a manufacturing run of my own product.

Care to explain why your prestigious Japanese manufactures don't want to be affiliated with you? That sounds pretty absurd to me.

Perhaps you should try the what am i drinking thread?

interesting edit cut, maybe you should make it a double?

Back