Do I need a nakari ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bolek

Reaction score
Hi, I am mostly cutting vegetables. I have an Ushuba, V10, cutting well, easy to touch up. I do not have problems with steering. What a Nakari will do that an Ushuba do not ?

I like my usuba for chopping herbs etc but don't risk using it with carrots or other jobs that might chip the edge. That's when I go to my nakiri. My nakiri is also taller than my usuba, gives better height clearance for taller veggies like halved onions, peppers etc.

If I were you I would seriously consider a chuka /Chinese cleaver. You have the finesse of a usuba and if you add a cleaver you can pretty much do any vegetable task.

I can say from experience that asking the question "do I need a XYZ knife" on this forum is a very dangerous (expensive) question. Before you know it you'll have a 3 new knives, and you'll be wondering how it happened.

One cheap way to find out if the Nakiri is useful for you is the Tojiro DP. You can pick one up on amazon for $45 with free shipping (if you have Prime and you're in the US). It's decent VG-10 steel and the Tojiro DP line is well regarded on the fora as a decent entry level brand. If you find you don't like it, you can Ebay quickly it for $30 and be out very little money. I know from experience that Tojiro DP moves quickly on Ebay; I've been outbid a few times now. If you decide you really enjoy the Nakiri, you can ebay the Tojiro and pick yourself up a nice one from Watanabe or some other decent maker.

Just a thought.

The answer is a most definite yes, but I'm with Cheeks that you may want to go with a cleaver instead.

Yes. This one...
P1010038.JPG

Who the heck comes on here and asks if they need a knife.....obviously a troll lol. :rofl2: Yes, of course you need a nakiri. I love mine.

If I were you I would seriously consider a chuka /Chinese cleaver. You have the finesse of a usuba and if you add a cleaver you can pretty much do any vegetable task.
I tried and I do not like Chinese cleaver.

I use my Ushuba for soft and hard vegi, carrots included. Up to now no chips. The Ushuba is a Myiabi 7000 Pro hardened to 60 RC. Do you think that such a Ushuba is more forgiving that blue or whit one ?
Smurfmacaw :The through question is : do I need a beter Ushuba or a Nakari ?

The answer to almost all "Do I need...?" questions on this forum is....NO, OF COURSE YOU DON'T NEED ANOTHER KNIFE". But the real question is, do you want a nakari? Give it a try. If you don't like it, sell it and get something else. That's the fun part of this hobby (obsession?). I've found that I like bunkas better than nakaris because sometimes you just need a point.

Be well,
Mikey

my nakiri used to be my go-to.... now that my skills and my collection have grown, as a home chef, I find myself reaching for my 210 gyutos much more frequently- the shig is still a pleasure to play with, though.... +1 for nakiri.

Currently own a nakiri that I enjoy a good deal but have actually found a fairly flat santoku of comparable length to be much more useful given the tip. Nice for a bit of detail work too

You do not need one, but you should buy one. They are lots of fun to use. I'm a big fan. :D

The answer to almost all "Do I need...?" questions on this forum is....NO, OF COURSE YOU DON'T NEED ANOTHER KNIFE". But the real question is, do you want a nakari? Give it a try. If you don't like it, sell it and get something else. That's the fun part of this hobby (obsession?). I've found that I like bunkas better than nakaris because sometimes you just need a point.

Be well,
Mikey
So I got a Tanaka nakari in blue 2. The ferule is not well adjusted in diameter to the magnolia wood of the handle but OOTB it cut well.

I like the banno bunka I have in my line up. It is sort of a nakiri with a tip as was mentioned previously. In any case, glad you got one. A small block plane (and/or judicious use of sandpaper) will help match the size of the handle to the ferrule. Let us know how you like it.

As I understand it the nakiri is not akin to a Bunka. Nakiri is more akin to a Usuba but made double bevel for home cooks. The Bunka is akin to the Funuki. Both are a blend of knife profiles designed to be a kitchen knife or fishing utility knife but for more casual cooking.

I was gonna say to get a bunka instead then i noticed you've got something new already... Next time. :biggrin:

Back