Do I need a new high grit (finishing) stone ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexZin

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am home cook and beginner free hand sharpener. I have been sharpening on wet-stones for about 1.5 years, and before I used EdgePro system. I have the following sharpening stones:
CKTG diamond plate 140
Nano Hone 400
Shapton Glass 500
Naniva Pro (Chosera) 1000
Kohetsu 2000
Shaptopn Glass 4000
Suehiro Rika 5K
Leather and cork strop.

I use these stones to sharpen German knives, and Japanese knives from HD, AS, B2, SG2, SKD, SLD, W2 steel.

Do I need to add any new stone to my current set up in order to improve speed/performance ? Or I am totally covered with the current set up. Shall I probably get a high grit stone like 8K for edge polish ? Or probably low grit stone (200-300's) for repair work.

I would very much appreciate any your advise.

-Alex-

Last edited:
Hi Alex,

From a cutting edge point of view, I personally think you're covered. I recently pondered an 8k myself and did end up getting one. After using the edge on two knives, I dropped their edges back down. Just personal preference and I may come to like the 8k edge but not right now.

However, thinning and polishing the primary grind might be a different story. I'm just starting to learn more about working on the aesthetics of the knife after thinning rather than leaving them fairly rough so can't give good advice here but I can see me playing with my 8k in this role.

If high mirror polish is your goal, Naniwa superstones. I rarely use them now but they’re great for easy mirrors. 5k gets you in the door, 12k is almost perfect.

For edges I no longer go up that high on synthetic. It’s just too polished. It’s crazy sharp yeah, but the lack of bite makes it unattractive to me.

If high mirror polish is your goal, Naniwa superstones. I rarely use them now but they’re great for easy mirrors. 5k gets you in the door, 12k is almost perfect.

For edges I no longer go up that high on synthetic. It’s just too polished. It’s crazy sharp yeah, but the lack of bite makes it unattractive to me.
Thanks, to avoid misunderstanding - I mean if I do need a high grit stone for edge polish?

Back