Do I need any additions to my stones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a those Shapton Kuromaku stones, and if you want to try something new I would recommend trying some Mikawa Nagura for some things.

I've had good results with Botan on the courser stones, and some Mejiro with the 5k. I have "a few" and the pure white seems softer than the "special grade" or "advanced". You do need to be careful as they do abrade the base stone, but just a little Botan on the 1k makes it feel nicer and more like the luxurious feel of a Naniwa Chosera 1k.

Th 8k with a little soaking and some slurry feels like velvet compared to the 1k and 5k (I feel the 2k is pretty nice) but the Nagura gets you some of that nicer feel. Scratch pattern seems softer too.

If you can buy one of each for say $30 they could be something to try if you're into "the experience", your results WILL vary but it's another interesting variable.

On the courser side the SP120 is course, but with a slurry (which forms easily!) starts to feel smooth enough, but I have to wonder if a diamond plate would just be better. I have the feeling it's construction is like the glass stones and not magnesia bound, I could be wrong there.

GS320 feels nice to me, probably too close to the 500 though.

If you like the feel of the Shapton 16k then a JNAT could be another option and rabbit hole!

I have got to be careful. I kind of went overboard, in a good way, with the kitchen knives I have. I just wish I would have had the knowledge to avoid the mistakes I made with the Paudin knives. thankfully I discovered JCK and I am not looking back on the true Japanese side. I still have the German Butcher Uncle side that I acknowledge. But that side is really equipped. I don't what go overboard on sharpening stones. I think John Jernberg had natural stones, Arkansas Stones?

I like the Debado 180 for hogging off metal without leaving scratches that are impossible to get out.

SG 320 to start a progression for edges. I haven't tried the RockStar yet

King 800 if you want a quick way to get decent results polishing

Many people start off and go up the fineness scale first. Some people come back down and explore the bottom end of the scale, very rough stones that perform well.

I like the Debado 180 for hogging off metal without leaving scratches that are impossible to get out.

SG 320 to start a progression for edges. I haven't tried the RockStar yet

King 800 if you want a quick way to get decent results polishing

Having at least one option for “hogging off metal” is really important.
The India Coarse/Fine is an insanely good deal for the money. It’s not really fast but edge quality is outstanding for the money and it’s grit range.
The Crystalon coarse is fast and will hog off metal. It is cheap too.
Shapton Pro 120 is a solid choice.
Atoma 140 is highly respected. Costs more but you pay for performance.
I have an 80 grit (claimed) cheap Chinese diamond plate. Stupid cheap and it works. It would work better if I got around to making a solid backing plate for it.
The DMT XCoarse is pretty good. I am sure the XXCoarse is even better (monster sized 120 micron diamonds) but costs more. More expensive than that is the Diaflat-95 plate. 95 micron diamonds. This is very fast but quite expensive.
I also have the Suehiro Gokumyo 240. This is a very good stone but it cuts more like a 500 and edge quality is more like a 1000-2000. This is the one that stays next to my sink for quick touch ups. Kinda expensive though.

Anyways, yes. A high-quality, very rough stone is an important part of a working stone set.

I think I got a good one, but my Debado 180 is much more useful than my SP120. I also have an extra coarse diamond plate that flattens it and other low grit stones, which is very useful as they dish. Haven't dipped my tow into super low-grit diamond stones like Venev.

OK what do you think of these additions. I like being able to get larger sized stones. I am thinking of My Paternal Grandfather this is what he might have used. I know what my Butcher Uncles used, a Norton Tri-Stone. These are both from Arkansas Whetstone

Soft Arkansas Whetstone 10x3x3/4-1" about a 400 grit

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 10.41.09.png

Black Arkansas Whetstone 10x3x3/4-1" about 1400 grit.

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 10.53.32.png

OK what do you think of these additions. I like being able to get larger sized stones. I am thinking of My Paternal Grandfather this is what he might have used. I know what my Butcher Uncles used, a Norton Tri-Stone. These are both from Arkansas Whetstone

Soft Arkansas Whetstone 10x3x3/4-1" about a 400 grit

View attachment 322036

Black Arkansas Whetstone 10x3x3/4-1" about 1400 grit.

View attachment 322041

Arks are great feeling, very fun stones. I have a number of them and I love them. They are not fast, quite slow actually, and they finish much finer than their grit ratings suggest.
Synthetic stones excel at the coarser grit levels, say about 1000 grit and below. If you have something to cover this level then using an Ark after to finish is a great combo.
Natural stones can deliver a sharp-yet-toothy edges that you generally cannot get from a synthetic stone.

I am wondering. They say the Arkansas stones can be use with either oil or water. I have used Arkansas stones with oil. If you once use oil on a sharpening stone that has this option does that mean you cannot use water on them, or can you clean them of the oil. I have done this with Norton stones when they get loaded up but only to get the original surface back.

I am wondering. They say the Arkansas stones can be use with either oil or water. I have used Arkansas stones with oil. If you once use oil on a sharpening stone that has this option does that mean you cannot use water on them, or can you clean them of the oil. I have done this with Norton stones when they get loaded up but only to get the original surface back.
I'd recommend a little soap mixed with the water. Otherwise the water is going to want to bead and run off a lot.

An Arkansas stone does not absorb much oil. Very soft coarse ones might absorb a little. Some are porous, but the pores are very superficial. Nothing like a Crystolon or something which is basically a vitrified sponge.

Back