do you prefer aogami #1/#2 to aogami super in a pro kitchen?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mazaki Wh2 being bad? This is news to me; in what way? Likely sharpening error or inconsistent geometry more than the fault of the steel itself.
Inconsistent geometry and sharpening main reasons…. it does not take that cutting feel expected in a W2 which I am getting from other W2 far far far better and horribly over grind in some parts of the blade, not expected for the price point, I can forgive the f&f but not this…

I have found ao1 and ao2 more rewarding than any other steel, as one of the lads above ir really depends of the smith, I got a mazaki in white2 and is absolutely ****, but then I got a gorobei for a bit less of the price and better finish and is gorgeous….Aogami super… I have only bad experiences…. Does not comeback with a honing rod, takes fcking forever to sharp if you are not acknowledged as! And is a boring steel (for me….without offending feelings of the AS fans here)

Shirogami realm is a tricky one! Get a reputable smith and read a loooooot, some of them are very good, and then you got a very bad ones such as w2 tanaka \\ w2 mazaki // w1 tsunehisa…etc

Kyohei shindo b2?? Massive value for money and if you polish up and tune up geometry…is super good, but again…need to grind it
11 year old thread restored to life! I fear all you have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill it with a terrible resolve.

Inconsistent geometry and sharpening main reasons…. it does not take that cutting feel expected in a W2 which I am getting from other W2 far far far better and horribly over grind in some parts of the blade, not expected for the price point, I can forgive the f&f but not this…
Mazaki's Wh2 is hard and glassy on the stone, take the edge to a coarse grit and move up from there if you have difficulties. I finish my Maz Wh2 with a Shapton Glass 500.

FWIW this was a complaint quite a few people made early on when Mazakis starting picking up steam 5-6 years ago maybe? Future iterations of his wh2 were a lot better than the early ones that I tried.

O1, I've used my gyuto for slicing brined meats tons of times, see if msicard will make u a suji in it. I have a white1 honyaki suji I never use cause most slicing I do wrecks havoc on the edge lol
I'm gonna try adjusting the edge a bit, just need it to last like two more shifts cuz I sharpen once a week regardless. But if that doesn't do it, I'll give a different steel a shot.

What do you think of this instead? I'm sure their fit/finish should be fine, and the steel might be better for some applications.

https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...ies-sujihiki-230mm-9-inch?variant=30332751363

The ginga Swedish stainless (aeb-l) series might be a good option, the edge should last a lot longer with brined meat, value is great and you don’t have to adjust anything cause it’s basically the same knife…

As for the general question, it’s surprising it hasn’t been mentioned but TFTFTF :laughingchef: No, for me it really depends on the task and the knife rather than the steel.

Last edited:
The ginga Swedish stainless (aeb-l) series might be a good option, the edge should last a lot longer with brined meat, value is great and you don’t have to adjust anything cause it’s basically the same knife…
That's kinda what I'm thinking. I love the knife, but idk if it's meant for literally hundreds of pounds of brined meat a week. White #2 wakeup call: I need to carve out a little more time to sharpen, or find something a bit more durable.

11 year old thread restored to life! I fear all you have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill it with a terrible resolve.
Vintage! 🫶🏼❤️, mate, but is true..,steels are not the unique factor, but is a lot who is doing it//hrc//grind…

I got a the batch of 2023, I have to sent to sheffield to get it right on the geometry, that it was a mess…the edge was not even either and I was so fcking pissed off, and feels glaasy asf on the stone…literally I want to slap Mazaki on the face for not doing a good job, the weight is amazing the shape is just great…but whyyyyyyy is not Shaaaaarp!!!!! And glassy!!!! Whyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Just the nature of a handmade knife, warps near the edge is common for a thin blade and sometimes you need to bend and correct the edge, and/or thin the blade road to get the sharpening experience you want.

My Mazaki sharpens excellently after some work on the blade road. The video below is the edge after some light pressure passes on Shapton Glass 500.

That's kinda what I'm thinking. I love the knife, but idk if it's meant for literally hundreds of pounds of brined meat a week. White #2 wakeup call: I need to carve out a little more time to sharpen, or find something a bit more durable.
The perfect petty suji(s) are waiting for you
https://carbonknifeco.com/collectio...let-shirogami-1-suminagashi-twist-petty-175mm
https://carbonknifeco.com/products/...e-2-petty-180mm?_pos=3&_psq=Hony&_ss=e&_v=1.0

I likely would’ve bought the Mizuno already but I’m not quite sure it would work for a lefty

Back