Don’t use felt lined plastic blade guards on reactive steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At work some of my knives had saya. Ones that kept in knife roll used regular edge guards didn't care what knives looked like. Good cutters & sharp did matter. Some had in drawer at my station cardboard wrapped in duck tape. Most all my knives were mono steel carbons.

I got rust on my carbon knife in a sheaths out of corrugated cardboard. Acidic ?
I haven’t had this problem - for the most part my knives are used as and when needed. Only a few are in long storage and these are in their original boxes/ or sayas/ and wrapped in VCI

I've also spent year's learning the traditional craft of making cardboard sayas—using reclaimed materials; friction fit. BTW, I'm open to commissions—just send your Katos/Shigs/etc and I'll do a custom fit cardboard saya!

Q3UhccK.jpg

Last edited:
I've also spent year's learning the traditional craft of making cardboard sayas—using reclaimed materials; friction fit. BTW, I'm open to commissions—just sent your Katos/Shigs/etc and I'll do a custom fit cardboard saya!

View attachment 211426

Do you offer an apprenticeship??

If so how many years, and what are the heavy grunt chores involved?

:flippingpan::waiting::pullinghair:

Do you offer an apprenticeship??

If so how many years, and what are the heavy grunt chores involved?

:flippingpan::waiting::pullinghair:
Sure, but TBH, apprenticeship in the art of cardboard saya making can be tough/brutal—very similar to Beatrix’s apprenticeship with Pai Mei in ‘Kill Bill Vol. 2.’

Last edited:
I had that happen to me before, too. I usually use the felt covers for transport and then take the blades out when I get to where I am going. I had a blade in my garage (unheated, uninsulated) and the blade was dry when I put it in and when I pulled it out, had rust on it. That was from environmental temperature/humidity changes.

On the one hand,
VCI is FDA approved food safe
It is food safe and requires regular testing and certification against chemical transfer.
From B&B:
Since the mid-2000s, many, maybe most or even all - modern VCI papers are impregnated with non-toxic chemicals.

On the other hand, the Uline stuff says “do not use to wrap food.” But maybe because it gives a funny smell, not because it kills you?

I suppose it really depends on the individual manufacturer, and that’s why there are particular brands that boast of their non-toxicity.

The solution is to buy a cheap container of Barkeepers Friend. Apply by pouring some on the blade and wetting a bit, then rub off the rust with a Q-tip and be amazed that something so cheap and easy works so well. I've had this happen before in my old house which stayed pretty humid. I don't believe it's quite as likely if your home is very dry and you make sure to be very careful that you've dried the knife thoroughly before storing it long term.

I’ve used the felt lined guards with my carbons, in my experience it depended on the steel types/maker—iron clad Watanabe and Mazaki developed rust; whereas I’ve not had problems with 52100 or some of my other carbons.
I’m a fan of cork lined guards, and use them a lot—pricier than felt, but works for me.

View attachment 210557
What is the second knife from the left?

On the one hand,

From B&B:

On the other hand, the Uline stuff says “do not use to wrap food.” But maybe because it gives a funny smell, not because it kills you?

I suppose it really depends on the individual manufacturer, and that’s why there are particular brands that boast of their non-toxicity.

Probably some concerns about food absorbing the outgassing from the paper, which isn’t a concern with steel.

Back