"Entry" Level Double, Wide Bevel Gyutos?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still doing some exploring...

What's out there that is good in the 210ish world of double, wide bevel gyutos say $300 or less?

Carbon clad or mono steel a plus.

When I say "wide bevel" I'm thinking the bevel goes all the way to the edge like a single bevel. Is that inaccurate terminology for double bevels? Just want to be sure I'm saying the right things for folks.

For example, I wouldn't have thought of my Manaka as a wide bevel but @tostadas is recommending it. Not being snarky to him in any way but rather questioning my own perception.

Last edited:
Komorebi 210 is close at $360.

On the Itadaki... I have been really turned off white 2, I tried Tanakas in the form of an FM petty, and man I had to sharpen it every few days after very light use in the kitchen. Maybe that's just Tanakas tho? I know Kono advertises their MB with Mutsumi as 65hrc white 2, I wonder if they really mean that or just say that. Same with their HRC numbers for the FM's. Sorry small tangent.

When I say "wide bevel" I'm thinking the bevel goes all the way to the edge like a single bevel. Is that inaccurate terminology for double bevels? Just want to be sure I'm saying the right things for folks.

For example, I wouldn't have thought of my Manaka as a wide bevel but @tostadas is recommending it. Not being snarky to him in any way but rather questioning my own perception.
Personally I think is just half way flat grind, Kochi is also kind of wide bevel.
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/collections/kochi/products/kochi-210mm-kurouchi-wa-gyuto

I think of a wide bevel as just having a distinct shinogi that is higher than average. No expert though.

Yea please forgive me if I misinterpreted the question, or more specifically the definition of "wide bevel". I think of wide bevel to mean a grind with a defined shinogi line, and a flat or concave grind between the edge and that shinogi line. So by my understanding, a convex ground knife is not a wide bevel.

I feel like my Manakas have met that definition, but with a higher than normal shinogi. And in effect, it's thinner than for example, a Nakagawa x morihiro.

Yea please forgive me if I misinterpreted the question, or more specifically the definition of "wide bevel". I think of wide bevel to mean a grind with a defined shinogi line, and a flat or concave grind between the edge and that shinogi line. So by my understanding, a convex ground knife is not a wide bevel.

I feel like my Manakas have met that definition, but with a higher than normal shinogi. And in effect, it's thinner than for example, a Nakagawa x morihiro.

Nothing here to forgive for sure! :) I reckon there is some gray here so maybe there aren't really definitive answers. Boy, if only that were uncommon in our hobby huh? 😁

I should've done a better job defining what it meant in my mind. But, it's also good to understand that others may see it differently.

:)

So forgive me if I misunderstand, but I take the question to mean like a Scandi grind on a pukka for Example. So one does not lift to sharpen. You just let the whole bevel sit flat up while sharpening. Is this what you mean?

I guess "wide bevel" is a very generic term but I would definitely consider my Wakui a "wide bevel" too.
Problem is to know (or not) if this is a flat, concave or convex bevel as this changes its use and proper treatment quite a bit. Though I guess you could grind any wide bevel flat over time; with some experience at least.

A flat wide bevel is brilliant especially for people not experienced in thinning knives (like me and many others).
I consider my Carter wabocho(flat wide bevel) one of the easiest to sharpen knives which is a big plus to have in a knife and makes it a keeper for me.

Here is another one at 230mm if you want to give it a try:
Hitohira kikuchiyo Ren Shiro 2 gyuto

Last edited:
QUESTION:

Is there a functional difference or advantage to using a wide bevel?
I am newer to the kitchen knifes, but I do have hunting knives with a scandi grind. Which it sounds like he is essentially looking for in a kitchen knife. One big advantage and sort of similar to a single beveled blade is free hand sharpening is no guess work. The angle is ground into the blade. You sit it flat on the bevel and sharpen. No lifting so you really can't mess up. You will also get a very sharp very equal apex. If it was ground well. I actually shave sometimes with my scandi grind knives not so easy to do that free hand with a kitchen knife for me at least.

I am newer to the kitchen knifes, but I do have hunting knives with a scandi grind. Which it sounds like he is essentially looking for in a kitchen knife. One big advantage and sort of similar to a single beveled blade is free hand sharpening is no guess work. The angle is ground into the blade. You sit it flat on the bevel and sharpen. No lifting so you really can't mess up. You will also get a very sharp very equal apex. If it was ground well. I actually shave sometimes with my scandi grind knives not so easy to do that free hand with a kitchen knife for me at least.
Kind like Scandi grind but much higher, more like a sbare grind, technically some wide bevel still have secondary bevel but some do use a zero edge. Heiji's knife is kind like that.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/nakaya-heiji-semi-stainless.46660/

Kind like Scandi grind but much higher, more like a sbare grind, technically some wide bevel still have secondary bevel but some do use a zero edge. Heiji's knife is kind like that.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/nakaya-heiji-semi-stainless.46660/
I think my Roselli long hunter with the Wootz UHC steel was a convex bevel with a micro bevel. I believe I have taken it to just a straight flat bevel and it is actually sharper than the convex. I believe bevel is approx 21 degrees.

Back