Espresso at home: worth it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One can make great espresso at home?

• Sure enough!

Votes: 34 97.1%
  • Not possible

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
There are a few vocal baristas who are of the opinion that it’s impossible to make great espresso at home. What say ya?

They are incredibly wrong. You can get shots at least as good as most cafes easily, and you can get shots as good as most good cafes. However, it is not a cheap hobby, and unless you're drinking a couple doubles a day, it will be more expensive than it's worth (in terms of monetary value). But the point of the hobby is not to save money.

Here's a summary:

- To get a [automatic, not manual lever] real espresso, you need to spend roughly at least $500 (and this comes in the form of a machine like the Barista Express, which is technically real espresso because you're using a non-pressurised portafilter combined with a grinder that can match it, the downsides is that it's a cheap machine, there are no readily available spare parts, and the warranty is 1yr. But still a great option). But to get great espresso, you're looking at >$1500 (~$1000 for something like the Lelit Mara, $500 for a grinder. Or a cheaper machine and more expensive grinder, but it's around there).

- You then need to factor in the price of the coffee, and you absolutely need fresh beans. You then need to factor in waste dialing in a shot (which can be very wasteful when you're learning). There's also electricity costs (some machines need a lot of preheating), water costs (ideally you would use soft filtered water), and general maintenance of the machine (even cheap machines like the BE need back flushing/descaling; grinders need cleaning somewhat often.

It's an expensive hobby. But if you love espresso, and you're not near a cafe, there's no alternative.

But remember that $1500 is 5 $300 knives.

ref, you are absolutely correct in that it’s not a cheap hobby. Maintenance on an espresso machine is a must. Gaskets and O rings fail and you really need a filtration system on the water that you use in your machine. We have a LaSanMarco that is plumbed in and we have two filters that we replace once a year. Even with good water scale builds up in time. Plus you must keep your machine clean and back flush on a regular basis. The burrs on the grinders also need to be replaced at some point.

I didn't look into the boilers of my La Marzocco until the machine was about 7 years old. I was very happy to see they were scale-free. Our water is not hard, and the filtration consists solely of a Brita pitcher/ filter. At that ~7 year period I replaced a handful of copper crush washers and some gaskets. The pressure relief valve craps out ever couple of years, but other than that I haven't had to put much time into maintenance. The first few years I would turn the machine on in the morning, and off after I pulled the shots, but ever since I have left it running 24/7.

I think this question has been answered.

Now I really want to use espresso in a good tiramisu recipe. Anyone got a good one?

I think this question has been answered.

Now I really want to use espresso in a good tiramisu recipe. Anyone got a good one?
Tiramisu recipe? This one follows the Carluccio recipe I use. Classic Tiramisu Make sure to get good quality lady fingers as they won't break up easily when coming into contact with the espresso.

I like the tiramisu recipe from Bravetart.

Tiramisu recipe? This one follows the Carluccio recipe I use. Classic Tiramisu Make sure to get good quality lady fingers as they won't break up easily when coming into contact with the espresso.
Funnily that is the exact same recipe as I learned when doing a series of workshops by a Sicilian chef some 15 years or so ago

Scale? you can avoid it withour filtration units, I'm using R Pavlis recipe to buffer mineral free water to avoid the pH to eat away on the boiler using a rotation pump to fill the boiler every two three days, never had to descale in over 3 years now.

to maintenance, sure maintenance is required but: gaskets don't break the bank, I replaced the group seal and piston gaskets last summer for the first time in 2 years. Backflush? Whatsthat:eek:,
Levers stay cleaner than pump machines, no backflushing needed or possible.
Burr sets, life expectancy depends on what grinder and which burrs you use, my SSP 84mm discs will not likely wear down in my lifetime or I will have to open a coffee shop. Lifespan: over 10.000 pounds, a double espresso is a14-15 grams. Over 300.000 shots, or like 90 years @10 doubles a day.

Last edited:
Have been on the verge of picking up a roaster. More equipment! Considering the Gene Cafe, Hottop, or AWC BK. On the fence.

Have been on the verge of picking up a roaster. More equipment! Considering the Gene Cafe, Hottop, or AWC BK. On the fence.

the difference between most gas and electric heated roasters is large, in the end it depends on budget and batch size you are looking for...my tip would be to think bigger than you'd expect as in no time you have a bunch of folks wanting your beans, you can buy greens far cheaper than roasted product, and consumption likley goes UP.
A roaster typically is good for about 80% of rated capacity, don't make the misstake many do and by too small.

MacGyvering roasting also works great for smaller batches; hardly any investment and pretty decent -if not very repeatable- results! (I've been using a converted Illy can on a cordless drill over a propane stove for almost two years, cranking out 130-150g batches with good to great results)

Man, yet another rabbit hole.

First knives, then stones, then razors, then espresso, now roasting coffee....

What’s next? Where does it end!!!

Easily Audio....you cut only so much stuff while cooking, you drink only so much coffee a day, did you ever consider how many hours you listen to music? Per hour audio is easily my cheapest hobby :p

Rwanda is not my cup of tea, very personal. My current favorites are a Papua New Guinea and a Colombian, usually I keep like 4-5 different greens in stock.

Hmm my speakers were already paid for decades ago...why are they still so expensive?? SF, great choice, I used a setup quite similar to their Extrema's for a good while before going full range.

I was joking too, I'm using vintage -used- speakers chassis that have been paid for now at least twice and te last time they cost nowhere near what they likely did cost when brand new. ;)

Man, yet another rabbit hole.

First knives, then stones, then razors, then espresso, now roasting coffee....

What’s next? Where does it end!!!
Buying your own plantation so you can grow your own beans.

(yeah, I know a couple who did this about 5 years ago -- they gave up their businesses, relocated from US down to Costa Rica and took over a plantation.

Another rabbit hole. Bath building.

I get it on the audio thing. I have actually picked up some great headphones from this forum over the years. I have never hesitated to invest in sound. Biggest bang for buck upgrade to any living situation for me.

Sorry for derailment, I haven’t learned enough about beans yet to really contribute on topic.

Another rabbit hole. Bath building.

I get it on the audio thing. I have actually picked up some great headphones from this forum over the years. I have never hesitated to invest in sound. Biggest bang for buck upgrade to any living situation for me.

Sorry for derailment, I haven’t learned enough about beans yet to really contribute on topic.
I think roasting is the cheapest; as most outcome of any hobby of mine. Get a Behmor and your off and ready to go. For under $500 initial costs you are in business for a long time, 5-10 years at least...here is a good source:

https://www.roastmasters.com/behmor-bundle.html

Last edited:
Back