Experience with Kintaro Knives by Yoshimi Kato?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tostadas

Hobbyist / Craftsman
Reaction score
I was browsing the various items at the MTC sale, and came across these Kintaro knives in White#2 that look to be fairly cheap for carbon steel. Has anyone tried these out? The handle looks fairly basic, but otherwise, the smith seems reputable.

I always find Yoshimi Kato makes a better knife under his own brand (Kintaro) rather than for other brands. Kintaro AS is really nice, I haven't seen their White 2. I know their HT is good, but maybe fit n finish is not as good as the AS one if it's cheaper.

Any idea why Kintaro white #2 knives are so cheap compared to AS knives? Price is double or more

I have a 240 Kintaro SS/W#2. It's a great knife! Nice handle, eased spine and choil, and a great cutter (from a home cooks perspective).

I have a couple gripes with it, but both are pretty much non issues
  • I dont care much for the "Faux-nogi"
  • I really dislike the swept back heel. Bites the sh!t outta everything.

3rd from the right:

1591127836937.png

I have a 240 Kintaro SS/W#2. It's a great knife! Nice handle, eased spine and choil, and a great cutter (from a home cooks perspective).

I have a couple gripes with it, but both are pretty much non issues
  • I dont care much for the "Faux-nogi"
  • I really dislike the swept back heel. Bites the sh!t outta everything.

3rd from the right:

View attachment 82534

I'm assuming that yours is from JKI, since it has an octagonal handle?

Fit & finish. Iron cladding vs. stainless cladding. AS has nicer handle, rounded/polished choil/spine. Not sure it's worth $130 more.
I dont know about other places, but there is no fit and finish difference that i can see. The cost differences are generally a function of white steel being easier to forge, grind, and sharpen. Other places may ask for different things or order differently, so i cant speak to that. But for us, there are no differences in the rounding of the spine and choil or anything like that. There are aesthetic differences in terms of kurouchi vs migaki, and, of course, the steel types. The steel types also dictate thinness to a degree. The white steel, being easier to forge, tends to be thinner (as is the case with many craftsmen... easier to forge and grind steels can more easily be made thinner).

I’ve been abusing mine for 5-ish years now in the workplace. I have other knives I like, but I keep coming back to my kintaro. It just functions well for most tasks I do.

I dont know about other places, but there is no fit and finish difference that i can see. The cost differences are generally a function of white steel being easier to forge, grind, and sharpen. Other places may ask for different things or order differently, so i cant speak to that. But for us, there are no differences in the rounding of the spine and choil or anything like that. There are aesthetic differences in terms of kurouchi vs migaki, and, of course, the steel types. The steel types also dictate thinness to a degree. The white steel, being easier to forge, tends to be thinner (as is the case with many craftsmen... easier to forge and grind steels can more easily be made thinner).
On the MTC site, you can clearly see the spine and choil are eased and polished on the AS vs. White 2. I didn't check your site, though, just MTC.
There are other reputable sites that sell the AS version Kintaro for a lot cheaper, too. (KnS)

I've had a Yoshimi Kato 165mm nashiji bunka with a super blue core for a couple years and use it often, especially when I require a particularly sharp edge. I chipped the tip right away, but that had more to do with my ham-handed knife skills than the quality of the steel. I learned my lesson and have never encountered that problem again. The handle is somewhat plain but quite comfortable. Considering the price I paid I'd have to say this is the best value knife I have in my collection.

Back