Failure!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Neal

Reaction score
I received an ISI whipping siphon for Christmas, and wanted to try it last night to make a pineapple liquor foam for desert. I could not heat the mixture because it would lose the alcohol, so I put 2 grams of soy lecithin in 250 grams of liquor and whisked until it looked disolved. Then into the whipping siphon, charged it with n2o, and dispensed. It came out mostly liquid with a light froth on top. Total failure.

What did I do wrong?

How do I make a dense foam out of an alcohol base liquid?

Thanks!

Keith

Try adding some protein, egg white or egg white powder. Xanthum may help as well, to give your bubbles some structure so they do not collapse on their selves .

Two things.

Did you use one charge or two? Sometimes a second charge will do the trick.

Second, the acids in pineapple are funky. Sometimes cooking it, such as a quick grill or sear, can tame them.

+1 on the Xanthan gum. We sometimes use a mix(mostly X-gum) with some Tapioca starch and Versawhip. You should shear these thickeners in with a blender -an immersion blender or food processor may work. If your liquid doesn't coat the back of a spoon, it probably won't hold up.
2 charges is the way to go also.
Also, shake up the siphon before squeezing the trigger.
DNF to expel all the gas before unscrewing to clean. We've had some KIA interns who've almost impaled themselves.

Is there any particular emulsifier that works better than the others? I can grab Gelatin powder locally but can order a few different ones to experiment with if needed. Maybe certain ones work better with different applications?

Thanks

Back