Fellow chefs, do you deduct your knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious as I’m doing my taxes, since I’m a chef I was wondering if I can deduct my chef knives as they are for work. Does anyone here do that?
I have at various points deducted chef equipment, shoes, uniforms, etc. Hasn't made much sense the last several years because of the new standard deduction rules. The exception would be is if you have a lot of 1099 independent contract or consulting work. Then you might be able to deduct some of those expenses against your self employed income.

I am not an accountant or tax attorney.

I have at various points deducted chef equipment, shoes, uniforms, etc. Hasn't made much sense the last several years because of the new standard deduction rules. The exception would be is if you have a lot of 1099 independent contract or consulting work. Then you might be able to deduct some of those expenses against your self employed income.

I am not an accountant or tax attorney.
But if they are single and spent over $13,850 on knives, itemize those deductions! Come on chefs, get spending! 😊

Imagine explaining the tax deduction on a Bob Kramer knife. Would pay to be in that room.

The TCJA suspended the unreimbursed employee business expense deduction from TY2018 to TY2025. You'll be able to deduct your knife purchase again starting from January 1, 2026 (barring any changes in tax law).

If you're self-employed, the knife purchase would arguably be deductible as a business expense on a Schedule C, provided that the business you run could overcome the business/hobby distinction hurdle.

*not legal or tax advice

Latest posts

Back