first knife: Fujiwara Denka?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worse things can happen, such as ordering a denka and replacing the steel with shirogami 1

:dancingcow:
tenor.gif

Why pay all that money for a Denka with Shirogami 1 when you can just buy a T-F Nashiji with the same steel? I have had T-F W1 240 Gyuto Nashiji for a few years and it costs a fraction of what he's getting for the Denka.

Why pay all that money for a Denka with Shirogami 1 when you can just buy a T-F Nashiji with the same steel? I have had T-F W1 240 Gyuto Nashiji for a few years and it costs a fraction of what he's getting for the Denka.
Because denka is not nashiji lol. Also because AS is for people that only want to sharpen their knives once a year.

Trigger pulled. Fun fact, I originally opted for free shipping since they quoted 8-16 days on their website - I live in Seattle so I figured it would be on the shorter side. But then Gaku mentioned that it would take several months (?!) so I switched to DHL, ymmv.

Trigger pulled. Fun fact, I originally opted for free shipping since they quoted 8-16 days on their website - I live in Seattle so I figured it would be on the shorter side. But then Gaku mentioned that it would take several months (?!) so I switched to DHL, ymmv.
You said you wanted a tall example. What is the height and edge length? Welcome to the TFTFTFTF TTTTTTT club.

i've ordered lots of crap from jck over the years and the slowest package took about 5 days, usually its 2 days. and thats with the regular japanese post, no fancy dhl crap.

i've ordered lots of crap from jck over the years and the slowest package took about 5 days, usually its 2 days. and thats with the regular japanese post, no fancy dhl crap.

EMS/ePacket isn't available from TF at the moment. It's either DHL or on a boat.

TF Denka and Maboroshi gyuto price list from April 2018.
The exchange rate was approximately 1 USD = 108 JPY
210mm Denka Gyuto cost USD $418 direct or $398 if you bought in the store as non resident and don't pay VAT or shipping.
View attachment 103141
Wowzers. I might actually think it was worth the money at that price.

So about a 27% price increase in 2 years? Guess all the noobs like me get the privilege of paying the "iron price" - well played TF. 😂

Btw, the nearly $70 in shipping got the knife delivered to my door in about a day and a half.

Yeah shipping from T-F and Watanabe both have been great. Yes as T-F became popular (again) his prices haver steadily gone up.

Working with a different Japanese vendor than those mentioned here, my DHL shipped Cleaver was $22. EMS which I normally use was quoted at 5 to 6 weeks and was $8 cheaper!

TF Denka and Maboroshi gyuto price list from April 2018.
The exchange rate was approximately 1 USD = 108 JPY
210mm Denka Gyuto cost USD $418 direct or $398 if you bought in the store as non resident and don't pay VAT or shipping.
View attachment 103141
Even back then the price jump from 210->240 is ridiculous.
19,995 for 180, 23,100 for 210. 30mm difference.
But 240 is 42,000. 270 is 52,500. Still 30mm difference 🤷‍♂️

Back