First Whetstones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chicken livers sautéed, with shallots, mushrooms, port wine, and dried cranberries. Recipe was from Jacques Pépin. Chicken liver is very inexpensive, but rich and very delicious -- unless you simply don't like liver.

View attachment 112698

Also, I trimmed the livers before cooking, including removal of the tiny gall bladders and the hilar biliary duct complex. I bet ya'll didn't know chickens get gallstones! Here's one of two that I came across during tonight's dissection:

(Actual diameter was around 1 mm.)

View attachment 112699

Damn, I did not realize they did that.

This is why I limit my liver consumption to vastly overfed duck and goose. :D

Did that sound too elitist, or too French? Sorry.

Boca Raton, huh? I mostly grew up there. Went to Spanish River.

OMG humans. Livers a filter filtering up all the bodies cra& and you want to eat it. This is why we cant have nice things :)

From what I understand, the liver doesn't filter, it converts. Nothing I've read indicates it stores toxins, but it's extremely vitamin rich. Maybe someone who actually knows some biology can comment here, since I don't, but this seems like a comment based on an inaccurate understanding of what the organ is. It's probably not healthy to eat a ton of it for other reasons, but I can't find any reliable source saying not to eat it because it stores toxins.

#IHaveNoSenseOfHumor

From what I understand, the liver doesn't filter, it converts. Nothing I've read indicates it stores toxins, but it's extremely vitamin rich. Maybe someone who actually knows some biology can comment here, since I don't, but this seems like a comment based on an inaccurate understanding of what the organ is. It's probably not healthy to eat a ton of it for other reasons, but I can't find any reliable source saying not to eat it because it stores toxins.

#IHaveNoSenseOfHumor

Vitamin A is the culprit - several early arctic and antarctic explorers died from eating too much liver, primarily polar bear and marine mammals although I think dog liver was implicated in at least one case.

Sorry, I meant to put that chicken liver post in the thread "Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!." But that's what happened when I tried posting while half dozing off. Appreciate the replies, though!

#IHaveNoSenseOfHumor

Okay, this is the price I now must pay for accidentally posting liver in the whetstone post: The food that is absorbed through the intestinal wall goes into veins surrounding the intestines and into what is called the portal venous system and then through the main portal vein into the liver, which then filters the nutrient rich blood for impurities. So, everything we eat is monitored by the liver. The impurities and any toxins are then metabolized to less harmful molecules that can now be safely delivered back to the systemic blood circulation. However, some toxins that cannot be safely converted are eliminated through the biliary system in the bile, which is delivered back into the intestines via the common bile duct. Bile also contains beneficial emulsifiers that help digest ingested fat. In fact, excess bile is stored in the gall bladder, which will squirt a bolus of bile into the duodenum through the common bile duct in response to a fatty meal. The liver also gets oxygenated blood via the hepatic artery and can also metabolize many toxins from that source. The liver has amazing metabolic sophistication and is crucial in all but the lowest animal phyla. There ya go.

Latest posts

Back