Fixing a bent corner on a CCK 1303

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick_Hall

Reaction score
I just purchased a CCK 1303 a few days ago on the BST board here. I was a little disappointed to discover that the corner at the end of the spine had been bent. It looks like it was probably dropped at some point. It's really just a cosmetic issue, and won't affect the use of the knife, but I'd like to fix it. My thought was simply to put it on the anvil part of a vise and bang it flat with a hammer. I intend to approach this gently, slow and steady, but even so I'm wondering if this is dumb idea because I risk chipping the corner off. I was hoping for a bit of advice/tips before I do anything.

Here is a pic of the damaged area:

Hey, I am the seller of the CCK, didn't mention that because it was so minor, doesn't effect performance or comfort and it was like that when I purchased it brand new. The blade in whole is pretty much in brand new condition, and rustic in general. If you are disappointed with it you can ship it back and I will PayPal you money back.

Easy123: Like you say, it's a pretty minor cosmetic thing and I'm not at all unhappy with our transaction. I think I got a fantastic knife for a very fair price, and I was amazed that it arrived in 2 days! It really is such a small thing that it probably doesn't bear mentioning on a knife like a CCK, which is a workhorse not a show piece.

My guess is that a few gentle taps of a hammer with straighten it out like new. I'm only posting here just to get advice on whether or not a few taps of the hammer is advisable. After that, I'm going to oil the handle, put a new edge on it, and put it straight to work!

Thanks for the very kind offer to take it back but it really isn't necessary; I'm very happy with the knife. I just can't help tinkering with things :)

Try a plastic mallet on wood like a stump or 2x4 for backing. If it bent that easily it should flatten out easily too. I'm pretty sure that CCK's are soft at the spine.

Just tap it flat with a hammer. It is on the spine so it will not effect performance.

I have to say, I purchased a CCk 1103 (freakin' Beast) from an online retailer a few months back. Oddly enough, it had a bent corner on the same spot, though was packaged well. I just eased it with a diamond file.

It sounds like their isn't much risk. I'm going to give it a shot with the hammer and smooth out any rough spots with a file. Thanks!

Back