Flattening an Allclad pan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHiggins

Reaction score
My parents switched from gas to induction. Their favorite big pan (a 14" Allclad) is horribly warped and is unusable on the flat range.

I brought it home with me last night, heated it way up on my range and started banging away on the bottom with a mallet. It didn't work at all.

Does anyone have a technique they've used that works to flatten a stainless pan? Thanks!

17040371382523102866689364758899.jpg

I don't like your chances. If you get it flattened out at all, it's likely that it'll warp back to where it was in short order. It's the old story: once bent, metal tends to bend more easily in the same direction next time.

I'd give the pan to someone with a gas stove, where the warping is less of a problem, or pass it on to some charity, such as Lifeline here in Australia. Someone will be thrilled to pick up a good quality pan at low cost, even if it is warped.

I'll try the warranty, but I see they don't cover warping caused by thermal shock. That's probably how they'll deny the claim.
I don't think they could possibly claim that heating a pan on induction qualifies as thermal shock. It's normal use. Thermal shock is dropping a raging hot pan into cold water or something similar.

FWIW I've given away all my all-clad cookware after moving to induction. Nearly all of it warped, but even prior to the warpage the major issue was uneven heating. Thin clad cookware just doesn't tend to play nice with induction.

I'd suggest your parents look at Fissler Profi cookware for standard sizes, and
Paderno Grand Gourmet and Lacor Chef Luxe for the oversized ones. I've had great luck with my 36 cm Paderno paella pan for years (model #11115-36).

I don't think they could possibly claim that heating a pan on induction qualifies as thermal shock. It's normal use. Thermal shock is dropping a raging hot pan into cold water or something similar.

FWIW I've given away all my all-clad cookware after moving to induction. Nearly all of it warped, but even prior to the warpage the major issue was uneven heating. Thin clad cookware just doesn't tend to play nice with induction.

Paderno Grand Gourmet and Lacor Chef Luxe for the oversized ones. I've had great luck with my 36 cm Paderno paella pan for years (model #11115-36).
I was using my All Clad copper core saute pan this morning on induction. Used daily. No warpage but it's an 8" pan so that probably helps. Can't say the same for my large Cuisinart French Classic 24" 3L pan. I've had 2, 1st was replaced under warranty for this issue. 2nd did exactly the same. I think the metal is too thin on the base and that encourages deformations. My Debuyer Affinity pans have also been rock solid on induction.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I own an Allclad 12" skillet and it's warped, too. Not as bad as my folks' pan (there's about 3/4 inch of warp in that thing, spins like a top!). I hardly ever use mine. I agree with you that I'm not that impressed with Allclad's cooking capabilities, especially compared to my 12" carbon skillet.

is the pot worth it? willing to take a risk?

time to get medieval. I would put it under something heavy. and push up against the bottom with a floor jack. I bet it takes 1000's of pounds to flex that small surface.

a machine shop with a press could add a load in a way more controlled fashion.

A firm strike or two with a heavy rubber mallet would probably do the trick, but it's only ever going to be a short-term fix, as Michi indicated. On induction the pan will warp again in short order, and they'd be back to square one. Better to buy a pan that's essentially warp-proof and more even-heating than All-Clad, especially in that diameter.

It would likely still induct something about 1/2" above the cooktop, but the efficiency would be far lower and the hot-spotting even worse.

Other practical question – unless they have a zoneless cooktop, is the actual induction element anywhere close to 14"?

If the center bottom of the bowl is close to touching the glass the distance loss there shouldn’t matter. The rise is at the edge but no heat is happening there anyway.

Last edited:
My mom and I spoke about this today. She says she only uses it in the oven, so not to worry. I'll still try the warranty route and see what happens. I gave her a well-used/well-loved 10" Lodge skillet that she can sear things in when she needs to.

I'll try the warranty, but I see they don't cover warping caused by thermal shock. That's probably how they'll deny the claim.
They're pretty good with warranty. Be sure to enclose a letter.
Is it high or low in the middle? If high, that's how they come from the factory--they're not dead flat, they're a little high in the middle so if the pan does warp a little it'll become flat.

Unfortunately, it is now relegated to the oven.... This is the big think people make a mistake with on induction... Pans heat up incredibly fast, and you don't want to heat them dry. I would be the good son and buy them a new one

Latest posts

Back