Flattening stone recommendations for Shapton Pro #320 Grit?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldm8

Reaction score
G'day! Such a long time without posting, hope everyone is doing well and staying safe!

I have recently repaired a chipped blade using my Shapton Pro 320 grit stone and due to the very extreme angles used during the repair, I have actually gone and messed up the stone pretty bad. In hindsight I should have just used a metal file/rasp.

...Anyway now I need to flatten my stone back to health. I usually use some course wet/dry sandpaper and lay it on a flat tile to flatten my stones in the past, but this is very hard work with the 320 grit.

I just purchased a sharp pebble flattening stone from Amazon and returned it as soon as I took it out of the box because it wasn't flat!

After some googling I saw a lot of people recommend the Atoma diamond stone for flattening but it looks super expensive! Any other recommendations that won't break the bank? I had my eye on this Naniwa stone also on amazon but was not sure how it would hold up against the 320 grit stone? I liked the look of it because it is a more trusted brand and is similar in price to the sharp pebble.

Do yourself a favor and buy an Atoma #140, but one with the handle attached. You will not regret it!

https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/...iamond-stone-flattening-plate-coarse-140-grit
The link is just an example, but in the description the advantages of the handle are clearly explained, you can find a much better price at Japanese online shops with some searching.

The flattening stone you linked has the disadvantage that it has to be flattened itself over time, so you would have to buy two of these stones and have all the additional work. An Atoma stays flat, no effort, no hassle and this thing is fast!

Do yourself a favor and buy an Atoma #140

You make a good point :D

Could you also use the Atoma for repairs, or is it specifically for flattening?

Sure you can use it for repairs. I use my Atoma 400 for flattening stones and for most stuff that requires grits below 1k.

Get the 140, and don't use it for anything else than stone flattening. Flattening even fine stones is no real problem: the rough surface afterwards gets smoother after some use of the stone. Meanwhile the stone is only faster. For thinning knives though the grooves it leaves are far too deep, and would require a lot of work.

Reactions: Pie

You can also use the Atoma for repairs, but in this case you reduce the lifespan of the diamond plate. I really only use mine for flattening.

You should also note that the #140 leaves quite deep scratches and in case of a repair the attached handle is not a good choice.

After sharpening a small axe with my Shapton Pro #120 #320 the surface is very glassy. I tryed sandpaper, Atoma #140, Silcium carbide sand ...... . I gave it up. It´s waste of time. Shapton Pro #120 and #320 are no good stones. I don´t have this problem with higher grit Shapton stones.

After sharpening a small axe with my Shapton Pro #120 #320 the surface is very glassy. I tryed sandpaper, Atoma #140, Silcium carbide sand ...... . I gave it up. It´s waste of time. Shapton Pro #120 and #320 are no good stones. I don´t have this problem with higher grit Shapton stones.
I can dispose of them for you.

Back