Flawless Denka vs kiyoshi kato gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll take the one made by the master who’s been making knives for 50 - 60 years.

They're fairly different knives. I would have trouble comparing them. What invited the comparison?
Oh yes. They are different. But I never understood the reason for the ridiculously high prices that kato knives go for. I finally was able to try one, and while I was blown away, I have to say that I still prefer my denkas over this. And 240mm denkas don’t go for over $1000.

Oh yes. They are different. But I never understood the reason for the ridiculously high prices that kato knives go for. I finally was able to try one, and while I was blown away, I have to say that I still prefer my denkas over this. And 240mm denkas don’t go for over $1000.
The price is high because of scarcity and the mythos/methods, just like Shig. Even Denka prices are crazy though, especially given the QC.

Supply vs demand. My hatsukokoro komorebei for $290 will cut better than my Kato. I accepted the fact that the Kato is a $3-$400 quality knife in terms of actual material worth. I just like the back story of the maker and the fact it's all done by hand. Honestly I think for just cutting you could get a takamura r2 and never need anything else.

I’m curious about Kato. I don’t think I have the budget to buy one out of the blue but I have to imagine the steel is just legendary.

In terms of TF, geometry can be adjusted, steel cannot. Is his AS really worth 3x that of hitachi AS? Ehhhhhh… it’s pretty damn good but idk..

All of Katos STD line up to a few years ago we’re done in white paper #2 Nothing special. katos have been consistent through the years with few flaws or a whole lot of variation. same with shig knives. Very well executed.

I tried a Kato once on a PA, and I think it was "worked on" before I received it because it cut like a turd. Would like to try a better copy.

As far as price... Not saying you have to but you can...
https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=87904
I read through the more recent Kato Passaround thread and the older one from years back and they both had the same problem. After the first handful of participants tested and sharpened it, the Kato started to seem really thick BTE. I like using thicker spine, full convex knives but even when they’re really thin right BTE, they fatten up pretty quickly so after a few sharpenings, you get a noticeable drop off in performance. Those testing videos you made were really helpful though.

I feel like this thread is setting the future value of pre-2022 TF.

Assuming supply and demand isn’t an issue, and blacksmith reputation is irrelevant, how much do you think a kato std or “very good” Denka should be worth?

Assuming supply and demand isn’t an issue, and blacksmith reputation is irrelevant, how much do you think a kato std or “very good” Denka should be worth?
That's an impossible and really nonsensical question to try to answer. Knife price is not independent of reality, so there is no correct value.

My honest answer is $1250 give or take for kato std and $800 for perfect denka.
I'd say 400$ for Kato WH.
No idea about denka as I'm not interested in wabi sabi stuff

Apart from okeish belt finish and questionable kanji I think Kato WH are perfect. Perfect distal taper, paper thin tip, thick spine, huge tang. A like all of that. But the thing is... at 400$ level I can get a custom knife with same geometry but in fancy steel. Prices might be very different in other countries, but here we are entering a rainbow ponies land with a 400$ entry ticket.

Back