Flipper alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JNS kato prices seem to be the highest Kato retail prices around. At this point anyone scoring an $800 kato is sure to make a little off it, but double the retail price is absurd. “Let the market decide” means numerous price drops until Kato finally sells.

JNS kato prices seem to be the highest Kato retail prices around. At this point anyone scoring an $800 kato is sure to make a little off it, but double the retail price is absurd. “Let the market decide” means numerous price drops until Kato finally sells.
Unfortunately in 2020 JNS is the only reliable online retail source for a Kato, but you gotta be quick and/or lucky. Even retailers in Japan are hit or miss with all the local flippers hoovering up supply.

Last kato standard 240 nothing special about it, on auction last week was 2000$ in japan. That with transport fees and customs makes an absurd price. Yet it sold. Funny thing is Morihei sells the same knife for 150k yen (1450$) so there are a lot of collectors with cash who don't follow KKF

Last edited:
Last kato standard 240 nothing special about it, sold on auction last week was 2000$ in japan. That with transport fees and customs makes an absurd price. Yet it sold. Funny thing is Morihei sells the same knife for 150k yen (1450$) so there are a lot of collectors with cash who don't follow KKF
KU?

Migaki. Sorry for bad information. It did not sell that was the price the auction finished but no one bid. I was under impression it sold. my misstake.

Morihei sells both the same price 150k yen. Yet KU is more rare since not no many came from JNS and there are fewer available. And it is the better knife compared to migaki version at least from my point of view.

Last edited:
There is a new knife shop vendor that appears to buy knives and immediately flip them for profit on his retail site. It appears to be his main business model. Not a very honorable way to make a living.

Can you share which vendor? Would like to avoid it.

There is a new knife shop vendor that appears to buy knives and immediately flip them for profit on his retail site. It appears to be his main business model. Not a very honorable way to make a living.

Please share the name of the vendor

Name please

Nombre, por favor.

имя, пожалуйста

I shared the name with the Mods. Not sure if its appropriate to share it here. If anyone wants to DM me, feel free.

Two of the mods already asked you to share it! You’re gonna get flooded with PMs if you don’t just post it here...

Don't ALL knife stores/ retailers do this? Not to be rude, but this seems to be a model used the vast majority.

I’m assuming bcos is talking about someone quickly buying up knives that are being sold publicly, and then reselling at a higher price with minimal added value. That’s different than how most of the vendors we talk about work. But yea, it’s hard to distinguish between normal vendor behavior and abnormal without details.

Last edited:
I’m assuming bcos is talking about someone quickly buying up knives that are being sold publicly, and then reselling at a higher price with minimal added value. That’s different than how most of the vendors we talk about work. But yea, it’s hard to distinguish between normal vendor behavior and abnormal without details.
[/QUOTE]

This is right.

Wasn't this the sOreal selling strategy? Buy low on the forums and flip high. At the very least its shady

I've often wondered how such a shop operates. First of all, it would have to be started by a keen knife collector to know which knives are good value. But for knives which are very high in demand, it might not be able to be the first to press the buy button or DM button. For other expensive picks, they might not sell at the price it wants to profit with or it might lack market demand and not sell at all. It's a flipping store so it doesn't have makers supplying directly with a distrubtor discount. But there is a pressure by its cusomers to keep supplying great knives to keep up its reputation amongst its customers. So it might have to pick up things which don't sell as well. Assuming the store is used by its knife collector owner to earn a little extra to support his own knife collection, the collector takes a huge risk that the knives bought for flipping end up being an ever increasing inventory tying up his capital. It would seem that in the end the collector will have a collection of knives which he might like but not love because the gems have all been sold and the rest do not shine as brightly. So while we might frown on flipping, I'd have to wish this collector good luck with his business model.

Back