Flipper alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone that tries to profit off of a @SolidSnake03 deal should be banned immediately. Put that one in the rule book.
I’m cool with this rule ;)

Snake deals are just for fun for everyone out there and a cool and cheap way for more folks to try some fun knives. Profiting off good will is a rough one if I do say

I think we could define a flipper two ways:

one - someone who has just received a brand new blade and is trying to sell it at an excessive price compared to current market retail. Excessive mean well above what someone would've paid compared to landed price (knife + inbound shipping + duties + taxes + paypal + outbound shipping)
two - someone who received a blade at a great discount (for example a pif/damaged knife) and tries to sell at retail or above.

I do not consider someone who won a lottery/raffle knife as number two. There is a difference in intent - in case of a PIF, the "giver" was intending something to be given and enjoy, not profited from. A lottery/raffle knife, to me, is something different.

As the market will determine if the selling price is reasonable, type one flippers are annoying but will find out they generally will not sell knives here. An example of this is that the market has determined that the price on a Kaiju is quite a bit above what retail was, but Bloodroots generally go for less.

Type two flippers, like the one that scammed Dalman, should be called out. They are a pox on the community as they stop people who would otherwise do positive things for the community from doing them.

I bought a concert ticket off a scalper once. Through an online marketplace which exclusively hosts a secondary market for concert tickets. The kinds of concert tickets that sell out 10,000 seat venues in twenty seconds. I’m not a bot, so I have to buy from “flippers”.

Do I regret paying 200% retail? No: it made my wife happy.

Do I wish the band would simply double prices so more of the money would go to them and so I could have had a shot at buying the ticket at the IPO? Yes.

Do I believe there are good reasons, beyond my ken, for bands to price as they do? Also yes.

But my wife and I have different strategies when it comes to indie concerts. Her strategy is to simply have such exquisite taste in music that she mostly buys tickets to indie bands way before they get big: as nameless nobodies, their tickets are £10, not £300. That’s how she danced face to face with Grimes and got invited up on stage with Belle & Sebastian. She doesn’t flip money. She flips time.

When it comes to indie knife-makers, I’m learning from her.

Last edited:
I get there's a lot of sentiment that's wanting to maintain a certain 'community spirit' within BST.

Fact is—BST is a marketplace. Sellers and buyers participate for different reasons. Buyers may want a good deal; trade up to a higher tier of quality; try something different; finally land that 'unicorn,' etc. Sellers—have varied objectives that range from 'thinning the herd'; moving knives into kitchens where they'd be used; and to make money.

My view is that the majority of buyers are market savvy—no need to be overly protective of newbies—buyers I know generally do research, as with any secondary market.

If a Kato or Shig is being 'flipped,' no big deal, don't buy it, someone else probably will. If someone sold a Kato for $900, and it comes to market a week later for $1800—the potential for bad blood is between the seller and buyer of the $900 Kato—as proof of provenance isn't a BST requirement. Original sale price is not my business, current value is of more importance.

I seriously doubt most on KKF desiring a Kaiju, would pass up buying one from a well known 'flipper' for $900.

I'm all for the wide diversity of sellers on KKF, it gives me options.

A little off subject—but I'm in the minority, strongly feeling that comments shouldn't be allowed on BST; and final sale price removed, final price should be between buyer/seller. If you want to know current prices on BST—just pay attention and keep notes.

I bought a concert ticket off a scalper once. Through an online marketplace which exclusively hosts a secondary market for concert tickets. The kinds of concert tickets that sell out 10,000 seat venues in twenty seconds. I’m not a bot, so I have to buy from “flippers”.

Do I regret paying 200% retail? No: it made my wife happy.

Do I wish the band would simply double prices so more of the money would go to them and so I could have had a shot at buying the ticket at the IPO? Yes.

Do I believe there are good reasons, beyond my ken, for bands to price as they do? Also yes.

But my wife and I have different strategies when it comes to indie concerts. Her strategy is to simply have such exquisite taste in music that she mostly buys tickets to indie bands way before they get big: as nameless nobodies, their tickets are £10, not £300. That’s how she danced face to face with Grimes and got invited up on stage with Belle & Sebastian. She doesn’t flip money. She flips time.

When it comes to indie knife-makers, I’m learning from her.
The flaw in the concept of raising the price to “stop flipping” is it just resets the market driving it up and then flippers just raise it up and it becomes even more of an elitist thing to attain.

The flaw in the concept of raising the price to “stop flipping” is it just resets the market driving it up and then flippers just raise it up and it becomes even more of an elitist thing to attain.
That's not a flaw, it's a feature. These are elitist things to attain. If not money, then solely for those who have the luxury of being able to spend so much time on the forum that they get there first.

Knives aren't egalitarian, nor should they be. There're lots and lots of good, inexpensive knives on the market—do I wish Katos were cheaper, hell no. There're knives I have that I'm glad not everyone can afford, price is a filter that gives a little exclusivity—just having them is reward enough for my research and persistence. It's like restaurants—I love eating at dives, diners and street carts, but also value splurging at a high end, stared joint once in a while.

I just looked up scalper (as I missed your use of the word initially and was going to bring it up) and the history of the word shows how this is not a new problem - the use for theatre tickets was in use in American English in 1869

I get there's a lot of sentiment that's wanting to maintain a certain 'community spirit' within BST.

Fact is—BST is a marketplace. Sellers and buyers participate for different reasons. Buyers may want a good deal; trade up to a higher tier of quality; try something different; finally land that 'unicorn,' etc. Sellers—have varied objectives that range from 'thinning the herd'; moving knives into kitchens where they'd be used; and to make money.

My view is that the majority of buyers are market savvy—no need to be overly protective of newbies—buyers I know generally do research, as with any secondary market.

If a Kato or Shig is being 'flipped,' no big deal, don't buy it, someone else probably will. If someone sold a Kato for $900, and it comes to market a week later for $1800—the potential for bad blood is between the seller and buyer of the $900 Kato—as proof of provenance isn't a BST requirement. Original sale price is not my business, current value is of more importance.

I seriously doubt most on KKF desiring a Kaiju, would pass up buying one from a well known 'flipper' for $900.

I'm all for the wide diversity of sellers on KKF, it gives me options.

A little off subject—but I'm in the minority, strongly feeling that comments shouldn't be allowed on BST; and final sale price removed, final price should be between buyer/seller. If you want to know current prices on BST—just pay attention and keep notes.
I think Kajuis are going more than that. I don’t know. I just think.

what's archaic about it? serious question from a forum software aficionado.
Well for starters it’s been around for ages now, to the point that first posts of some the older threads don’t load pictures anymore. We have those weird moving emojis that I remember from instant messaging days and again, from old forums. I am also remembering how it felt when I first joined which was almost 2 years ago, and if I remember correctly they made some big changes only a few months after. I could be wrong though.

Either way, I had no experience with forums whatsoever before coming here. I think it was probably more of a foreign concept than an archaic one, but it sure felt archaic when I was figuring everything out. So I guess I don’t have a real explanation, just my experience. No other forums to compare with in my mind either.

2833662F-3C67-480E-BB5F-3BAFF7A26579.jpeg

Makes sense to try another marketplace.

Knives aren't egalitarian, nor should they be. There're lots and lots of good, inexpensive knives on the market—do I wish Katos were cheaper, hell no. There're knives I have that I'm glad not everyone can afford, price is a filter that gives a little exclusivity—just having them is reward enough for my research and persistence. It's like restaurants—I love eating at dives, diners and street carts, but also value splurging at a high end, stared joint once in a while.

I mean I get it that's the common collector opinion and for a lot of folks exclusivity is part of it I just cant get behind that at all.

I started out in this hobby during a period of my life where I wasnt making that much and my first really nice knife, a Tsourkan, was a gift from my mom. But now that I've been in tech for years and paid off student loans and stuff I can buy anything I want, but to me it's incredibly sad that folks without deep pockets dont even get a shot at may of these things anymore, especially if you have to resort to the secondary market.

Yet I see you suggest that it's good, actually, that most people can't afford a Kato? Im just absolutely baffled by that perspective as I cannot personally see any empathy in it at all.

Honestly what do you gain by other people not having a 240 workhorse?

Back