Flipper alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screenshot_20230323-165444.png

If we keep trying it's bound to work right?
Wonder what it’ll go for. I feel like eBay is a hard place to sell knives like this since your average person would skip right over it after seeing the price - even though it’s fair

Wonder what it’ll go for. I feel like eBay is a hard place to sell knives like this since your average person would skip right over it after seeing the price - even though it’s fair
Sold for $770. A very fair price for a piece of BB history.

Curious to why I can’t ask what the trade value is on the newly edited bloodroot ad…

That's intriguing as BST rules say a trade value should be listed.
“What is the trade value of this blade?”

Instantly deleted. Even though the post has been completely edited and the $1700 asking price has been removed. Interesting

“What is the trade value of this blade?”

Instantly deleted. Even though the post has been completely edited and the $1700 asking price has been removed. Interesting

I don't give two eff's what he''s listing it for. Nor should you.

Typing slowly: If you can't play by bst rules then don't play in bst.

I don't give two eff's what he''s listing it for. Nor should you.

Typing slowly: If you can't play by bst rules then don't play in bst.

From the rules

Values must be listed for all knives/items being sold. USD shall be the preferred and default currency. For items listed for sale in a restricted market, e.g. Europe, the prevailing currency of that market is acceptable.

Approximate values should be listed for items offered for trade. This is for both the buyer and the seller 's benefit to establish a reference point for barter. This is not a requirement. All trade offers and subsequent bartering shall be done through PM.

Please do not delete asking prices. This provides useful historical data, discourages ‘flippers’, and helps to determine market values. KKF provides this venue for knives (and other "stuff") as a service to our members and our members overwhelmingly ask for pricing to remain accessible.

@Edge please come collect your mans, he's been drinking and posting again

I mean I get it that's the common collector opinion and for a lot of folks exclusivity is part of it I just cant get behind that at all.

I started out in this hobby during a period of my life where I wasnt making that much and my first really nice knife, a Tsourkan, was a gift from my mom. But now that I've been in tech for years and paid off student loans and stuff I can buy anything I want, but to me it's incredibly sad that folks without deep pockets dont even get a shot at may of these things anymore, especially if you have to resort to the secondary market.

Yet I see you suggest that it's good, actually, that most people can't afford a Kato? Im just absolutely baffled by that perspective as I cannot personally see any empathy in it at all.

Honestly what do you gain by other people not having a 240 workhorse?
If everyone had a Kato, they wouldn't be special to me. Yeah, they're well made, great steel, by a revered maker—but they'd be too common, if all who wanted one had one. I'm very proud to have one, bought before the hype—it's like any form of collecting, the relative rarity factor is pleasing; adds value. Ultimately, Kato's aren't kitchen requirements, but a luxury—no one needs a Kato in the kitchen—sure they're fine performing knives, but there're tonnes of other, more accessible knives. Anyone can have a Kato, they'd just gotta prioritize acquiring one, and work hard at finding it. IMHO, the knife journey is a long one, gotta be patient—I'm against the idea that everyone is entitled to try every knife.
Somethings in life are special simply because not everyone can have or experience it—i.e. eating at a starred restaurant; a good J-nat; shooting with a Leica; saving up to get a top notch knife; etc.
Like any hobby, it's not a free ride—and probably shouldn't be.

Last edited:
If everyone had a Kato, they wouldn't be special to me. Yeah, they're well made, great steel, by a revered maker—but they'd be too common, if all who wanted one had one. I'm very proud to have one, bought before the hype—it's like any form of collecting, the relative rarity factor is pleasing; adds value. Ultimately, Kato's aren't kitchen requirements, but a luxury—no one needs a Kato in the kitchen—sure they're fine performing knives, but there're tonnes of other, more accessible knives. Anyone can have a Kato, they'd just gotta prioritize acquiring one, and work hard at finding it. IMHO, the knife journey is a long one, gotta be patient—I'm against the idea that everyone is entitled to try every knife.
Somethings in life are special simply because not everyone can have or experience it—i.e. eating at a starred restaurant; a good J-nat; shooting with a Leica; saving up to get a top notch knife; etc.
Like any hobby, it's not a free ride—and probably shouldn't be.

ok so that's a lot of words to basically say the utility you seen in a Kato is mainly that other people cannot have one.

you say that not everyone is entitled to try one, I mean that misses the point. there is maybe some truth to that, or at least it's reflective of reality. but that's not enough, you are gaining literal joy and value out of other people not being able to.

I'm not sure what kind of judgment about that you think the rest of us are supposed to have, but for me personally, that's a big yikes.

ok so that's a lot of words to basically say the utility you seen in a Kato is mainly that other people cannot have one.

you say that not everyone is entitled to try one, I mean that misses the point. there is maybe some truth to that, or at least it's reflective of reality. but that's not enough, you are gaining literal joy and value out of other people not being able to.

I'm not sure what kind of judgment about that you think the rest of us are supposed to have, but for me personally, that's a big yikes.
I'm confused.

How are you suggesting that "exclusive" knives should be more available? Cheaper? More production?

You mentioned that you should be able to buy nicer knives because now you have the money for it. Can't you just make a WTB ad?

I'm not taking a shot at you, just curious.

I'm confused.

How are you suggesting that "exclusive" knives should be more available? Cheaper? More production?

You mentioned that you should be able to buy nicer knives because now you have the money for it. Can't you just make a WTB ad?

I'm not taking a shot at you, just curious.

Im not.

Im suggesting that gaining enjoyment from other people not being able to have things is wack.

I've spent years hunting down some of my nicer JNats. There is definitely a lot of thrill in the chase and it's just a reality I accept that what I've done is something many don't have the inclination or resources to do. I certainly enjoy them and would be lying if I didn't derive some satisfaction from having a couple unique pieces. That said, I think it'd be even cooler if everyone who wanted an absolutely flawless uchigumori could get their hands on one. Too much joy for me to want to hoard it all for myself and it'd still be a special stone for me even if stoner here had one.

My other main hobby is golf. One of my favorite parts of that game is that many of the best courses are publicly accessible. Yes its not cheap and the game isn't exactly known for being accessible, welcoming, etc. (wish it was easier to change that structurally), but any golfer with the desire and willpower to make it happen can orchestrate a trip to Pebble Beach or St Andrews or any many other excellent championship golf courses. Never heard anyone make the claim that their time at those courses was less enjoyable because hundreds of other people played the course on the same day. There are, of course, courses that almost no one gets to play, but I don't think those courses are great because others don't get to play.

I think its only human to get some pleasure from the envy of others and I don't begrudge people who have the means or foresight to acquire collectible rare knives. It's reality that there simply aren't enough really great JNats or knives to satisfy the demand at low prices, so prices generally go up. That's fine, but I won't be actively taking joy in that fact.

Back