D. Martell For Sale - Premium (!) Wa Handle from KandS 300mm Sujihiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
P1010002.JPG

• Model - Sujihiki
  • Blade Length - 300mm
  • Steel - 52100 (high carbon ball bearing steel)
  • Hardness - Rc 62-63 (with cryo)
  • Height (at heel) - 45mm
  • Weight - 7.9oz (224g)
  • Handle Style - Octagonal (Wa)
  • Handle Materials - Premium two-toned amboyna burl, triple nickel silver spacers, with a blond buffalo horn ferrule and end cap
  • Handle Supplied by - Knives and Stones
  • Collection - Summit
  • FREE Lifetime Sharpening included!

This sujihiki is the one you've been looking for!

It's a full sized suji coming in at 300mm in cutting edge length made from one of the best steels used in the cutlery industry today - 52100 high carbon ball bearing steel.

This knife will have great edge retention and ease of sharpening. The blade will take on some really interesting colors and patterns of patina as it's used.

The spine is nicely tapered, retains strength, and resists flex. The tip is thinly ground in the popular k-tip style.

The handle on this knife is really something! Made by @pkjames of Knives and Stones (out of Australia) it's constructed on some incredible two-toned amboyna burl with triple (!) nickel silver spacers and a blond buffalo horn ferrule and end cap. I love how he aligned the wood for maximum effect.

No matter how nice this handle looks in the pictures it's even better in person. James did a fantastic job on this ultra-premium handle and I'm more than pleased to be able to pair it up with one of my knives.

*Please see close up pictures for details.

P1010007.JPG
P1010009.JPG
P1010013.JPG
P1010016.JPG
P1010020.JPG
P1010021.JPG
P1010023.JPG
P1010026.JPG
P1010030.JPG

This is the suji of your dreams! 52100! Stiff - yet thin!, Awesome KandS premium blond buffalo and two-toned amboyna with triple nickel silver spacer handle! Price dropped over $100!!!!

If this knife doesn't sell I might as well quit! o_O

Today's temptation, my friends, is the final price drop I can do (another $50 OFF!) and it's only getting done because I need a quick sale. If it doesn't move today at this price then I'll let it sit for the right buyer to come along. ;)

>> Price Drop! <<

Guys, someone please buy this! This one is pure perfection... I don’t use sujis so i can’t buy it myself. But if I did I would have bought it already... Just wow!

Guys, someone please buy this! This one is pure perfection... I don’t use sujis so i can’t buy it myself. But if I did I would have bought it already... Just wow!
Daddy, if you'll buy it, I'll use it. And send you regular reports[emoji41]

Beautiful knife - GLWS

If the cost of this knife was broken down you'd see that the handle is almost 1/2 of what I'm charging here and for good reason. Try finding any decent amboyna burl today, then go looking for two toned in this condition/size - doesn't exist. Add in buffalo horn and nickel silver spacers and the fact that it's fully tapered (not broomstick-d) makes it literally top tier that anyone would/could offer. Check out James' site for how much he charges for this level handle, wait you can't, because he only installs this level (of wood) on the top end knives he sells making this literally unobtainable!

Remove the cost of the handle and you've got essentially a custom ground/finished 300mm sujihiki made in 52100 (!) for only $270 (ish) - that's nuts!

Just some food for thought.... ;)

I'm considering doing a raffle (or maybe even auction) for this knife over on IG. I've never done this before and never even paid attention to other makers listings so I'm pretty much a noob all around in this arena. If you guys/gals have any ideas, tips, etc please speak up. I'd also like to hear if you think this is a good or bad idea and why. Basically any input will be appreciated. :)

Crazy that this one is still here. No way that I could buy it, but I‘d definitely buy a raffle ticket or two.

Stefan

I'm not sure if I should do a raffle because of Paypal's gambling rules and all that crap. Plus, what stops people from doing a charge back if they lose? An auction is bidding (like ebay) but it doesn't give chances to win the way a raffle does, it just allows those with the $$ to play.

Why would you think people would do something like a chargeback if they lose, not thinking very highly.of your followers ? I know I wouldn't do something like that and would like to think no one else would do that either

Last edited:
Why would you think people would do something like a chargeback if they lose, not thinking very highly.of your followers ? I know I wouldn't do something like that and would like to think no one else would do that either

In the past it never would have occurred to me but today things are different. I've got these knife world social justice warriors types acting like children all over the place on IG causing me trouble. If they'll do that stuff then I see no reason to not expect them to do this stuff as well.

Hell, back a few years ago we tried doing a raffle here at KKF and someone ratted the prize donater out to PP and he got his account closed as a result.

If you are really worried about getting screwed by your potential customers, insist that any raffle bid be submitted as a "friends and family" payment. Then you pay no PayPal fee fee and the contestants can't ask for a refund.

You seem to be having a hard time selling knives you make on spec...maybe rethink that strategy and focus on doing work that is paid for in advance like sharpening, re handling and "made to order" knives.

All my knives sell...just not always fast enough to pay my bills. But yeah I much prefer to do the made to order ones for sure.

Regarding the raffle...I don't think I'll be doing this as it's 100% against PP's rules and I won't risk that. :(

Oh well, I'll just leave this one in my store and wait for the right buyer to come along.

Thanks for the input folks.

I have a feeling that someone is going to be without this knife come Labor Day and their BBQ is going to suffer for it. Maybe shoot me a PM and see if we can make a deal? ;)

Back