Forged VG10 vs normal VG10

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyamateurDK

Reaction score
Hi all.

Surfing the web for knives, I have noticed some VG10 knives are sold as handmade, and forged. I’ve always thought that VG10 was a pretty good. But also mainstream and often stamped blades. Used in the more modest price range’s. The “forged” blades are often a good bit more expensive then the more mainstream ones.

Can VG10 actually be forged by the smith? And are there any major difference between forged VG10 and the more normal stamped stuff?

Thanks.
Have a nice day.

What really matters is heat treatment. Yes you can forge any steel technically...will they benefit from forging? In the vast majority of cases, no from what I understand. A very hot knife right now is from a knife maker named myojin (mainly known as a sharpener) and those sg2 blades are not forged, but they have a great heat treat which provides for good edge retention and other properties.

Last edited:
VG-10 is just like any other steel really, in my experience possibly a little brittle, somewhat prone to chipping. Just treat it as any other steel.

It depends on your grain structure and abilities. Grain structure is hugely dependent on where you recieve your steel from. As far a i know VG 10 is produced by takefu and they deliver the steel with a fine grain structure. When you forge the blade the grain size will grow making the blade more brittle. Processes to combat that are froging at a colder temperature (vg10 can not or should not really be cold forged but you can still forge it with little deformation on lower temperatures) or you normalize the steel after forging.
As it was already mentioned: the rest is heat treatment.

The only reason for buying a forged blade would be to enjoy the texture and that the blade is handmade.

Kamon mentioned he forges his blades to get a taper. He could get the taper with stock removal as well (provided it’s thick enough), but the amount of time spent grinding means forging is more efficient. You’ll see that most stamped knives are fairly thin for this reason

Like other people said it donest matter that much most of the time. In case of VG10 it might have to do with some factory blades like Shun or Tojiro usually not getting the best heat treatment. But others like Takamura makes great stamped VG10.

Like other people said it donest matter that much most of the time. In case of VG10 it might have to do with some factory blades like Shun or Tojiro usually not getting the best heat treatment. But others like Takamura makes great stamped VG10.

Do you have any experience with Shiro Kamo VG10. Is it good or bad ?

Back