Friends with useless knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitbud

Reaction score
Don't know about you but most of my friends have useless knives. What do you recommend to friends who are immune to our infection.

This is a sample of what I recommend.
Opinel-Carbon-Steel-Paring-Knife.jpg

Hey, those are my steak knives!!

victorinox haha; handles are near indestructible, profile isn't too bad and they're thin enough

I start off non obsessed friends and family with Victorianox and commercial F Dick. If they get into it, they get my hand me downs. I end up sharpening most of them from time to time.

Let them use my knife first to see if they atleast appreciate the difference. If not, a pull through sharpener for whatever they are using haha

If someone uses low end, low quality and dull knives, but does not complain about it or show any need for better - why giving them better knives at all? Give them something they will appreciate. I know this is hard (I have the same problem - I love give knives as presents, but there are few people around in our family to give knives to).

However if you do - give them something that will be easy to sharpen. Why? Because even if you resist at first you will at some point give up and sharpen the knives for them with your stones. You will 'have to'. Personal experience :angel2:

This is a sample of what I recommend.
View attachment 23142

I have those too and I would not recommend them for beginners. The blades on mine were slightly but noticeably overground, with a recurve shape towards the heel and they have some kind of annoying "mini bolster". They were also not too sharp out of the box.

It took me just a few minutes to take care of the overground shape, the mini bolster and the disappointing sharpness with a stone and one of those double wheel electric grinders, but that is not something you can expect a newbie to do.

I bought the large OPINEL cooking knife too, and the first one also had the overground recurve shape, strangely. I sent it back and the second one was OK.

I would recommend Victorinox or KIWI knives.

Cheap is not only factor,the Opinels are cheap & carbon not exactly for persons who don't care for their knives.The Victorinox is tough,decent steel & HT Fibrox are cheap for what they are.

I guess it would depend on who's asking:

- some people want something 'good' even if they'll never bother sharpening it
- some people want some bling
- some people genuinely want something better and are willing to put some time behind it
etc...

So basically, there is no single answer to that one

+1

Like it, take a step back and see what is the situation.
I admit it I sometimes look for the simplest answer.

I guess it would depend on who's asking:

- some people want something 'good' even if they'll never bother sharpening it
- some people want some bling
- some people genuinely want something better and are willing to put some time behind it
etc...

So basically, there is no single answer to that one

I bought my best friend - who is a great cook - a carbon K-Sabatier 10" chef knife and a 1k King stone a bit over a year ago. The knife has no signs of rust, and a patina that makes my knives jealous. He uses it daily, and has no desire for an "upgrade". I knew he would both appreciate this knife and take proper care of it, which were big factors into choosing it for him.

Knife selection is very personal, so you really need to know who will be using it, how he'll maintain it, etc. If I blindly had to choose a knife for "the masses", I'd consider a Mac Professional, Misono Moly, Sabatier Stainless, or something stainless that Jon carries.

Back