Fujiwara Teruyasu Shop Visit - Tokyo

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkim

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, but thought I'd share. I wanted to visit a knife shop while I was in Japan, and wasn’t sure who to go to. I saw Teruyasu Fujiwara was recommended, so I contacted them.

I was initially planning on just picking a knife or two, and was really curious about the workshop, so I shot an email and Gaku replied told me he would also let me try a smithing experience.

So here I was being guided by Fujiwara Teruyasu.

forging.JPG

Pics of my knives, they look a lot better in person.

Paring Knife:

paring-01.jpg

Santoku Knife
santoku-01.jpg

He also gave me the paper knife that he let me help make. This was a gift to me, it's rough and it's my job to finish it.

paper-knife.jpg

Overall it was a great experience, and if you have time and are in Tokyo, I’d really suggest emailing and checking it out.

Teru the resident Shiba Inu.
teru-mascot.JPG

I’m pretty terrible at taking pictures, everything looks a lot better in person.

They engrave the knife for you with your name as well.

I'm impressed! That sounds amazing, man. Out of curiosity, how good is your japanese that you were able to take knife-making instructions in real time? Or was the instruction in english?

I'm impressed! That sounds amazing, man. Out of curiosity, how good is your japanese that you were able to take knife-making instructions in real time? Or was the instruction in english?

Gaku helped translate, my Japanese is horrible. It would definitely help to know Japanese, but what also helps is using a translator app (google translate, etc).

I didn't expect to do that either, I just thought I was going to see, but it was definitely a great experience.

That is fantastic! What a great experience. I always thought he was a great guy in our back and forth exchanges via email. Very Jovial and has quite the sense of humor.

One day. Hope before TF finally retires. Didn't know there was a shop dog. Thanks for sharing

I think TF IV's son works at the factory outside Tokyo. The other guy is probably Gaku.

Great post! Did you pick your own knives or they gave you the knives? Any more photos from the TF shop? Just curious! How about other kitchen knife stores...where else did you explore in Japan, if you don’t mind me asking? Thank you

Thanks for sharing especially the pics! Now that I know they have a shop dog, I'll definitely have to visit in the future! :)

That must have been an amazing experience. I hope that I will be able to arrange something like that during my trip to Japan.

The Fujiwara Teruyasu helping you forge, is he the younger one or the older one seen in all the pictures?

He was the older one, as they said he's been doing this for 70 years.

Great post! Did you pick your own knives or they gave you the knives? Any more photos from the TF shop? Just curious! How about other kitchen knife stores...where else did you explore in Japan, if you don’t mind me asking? Thank you

I picked the knives. I didn't really explore too many stores, but you see them around as long as you just walk around. There are plenty of places that I have seen though.

I sent to Kyoto and Yamagata as well. I didn't see anything in Yamagata, but I saw a few shops in Kyoto, I just looked didn't buy from them though as I was already going to go to Fujiwara Teruyasu's.

yamagata doesnt really have much in terms of knives (there's some, but not much)... depending on what part you'll be in, hit me up. I'm up there a lot.

I’m heading to Tokyo in December (to catch U2). Thinking of heading to TF’s store. Does anyone know how the in-store prices compare with the online prices? Can he de-tax the VAT?

The prices in the store are a little lower than the online price because TF doesn't charge VAT to tourists and he they don't have to factor in the free shipping cost for the online store, but the differences is small, like < 5%...

I didn’t get a “deal”. I’m pretty sure he removed VAT. The best advice I got was to look for something unique and high quality F&F if visiting in person, as prices are the same as you will find elsewhere. They did ship for free.

5% is rather thin. To be honest, I was hoping it would be more. I guess the advantage is being able to choose the exact knife you want.

5% is rather thin. To be honest, I was hoping it would be more. I guess the advantage is being able to choose the exact knife you want.

Don't underestimate the value of choosing the exact knife you want. If you are doubtful about that, some googling about the perils of buying a TF sight unseen is in order.

Don't underestimate the value of choosing the exact knife you want. If you are doubtful about that, some googling about the perils of buying a TF sight unseen is in order.
I have heard. What boggles the mind is the inconsistency especially given the pricing.

Well if its any comfort I've bought far more expensive knives with problematic inconsistencies. You'll have better F&F with Wa handled knives. Being able to visit the store you'll have plenty of examples to choose from and reject anything less than perfect. Definitely go for local sale only versions as they will be unique eg urushi Wa handle or Red Yo handle Denka.

Once you've handled a 'good' one, you'll be saying they're a total bargain.

Say hi to the shop dog......

Well if its any comfort I've bought far more expensive knives with problematic inconsistencies. You'll have better F&F with Wa handled knives. Being able to visit the store you'll have plenty of examples to choose from and reject anything less than perfect. Definitely go for local sale only versions as they will be unique eg urushi Wa handle or Red Yo handle Denka.

Once you've handled a 'good' one, you'll be saying they're a total bargain.

Say hi to the shop dog......
Stag horn western Denka for me :)

I’ll be there in 2 weeks. Wish me luck guys :) Anyone remember if they accept card?

TFTFTFTFTFTFTFTF

Back