Good Butter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coxhaus

Reaction score
I finally got into Austin and bought some expensive butter. I was looking for the thread for great butter and I could not find it. What do you guys think of this? I thought we needed a butter thread. Maybe bread too as they go hand and hand. Are there others I should look for?

What I have been buying is Kerry Gold and Land of Lakes sweet cream unsalted butter.

IMG_0641.jpg

plugra is fine for every day use.

where did you acquire that butter? like specifically which store. asking for a friend...

I like vermont creamery salted butter better than kerrygold or president. I'm still on the lookout for their "european style" butter (higher butter fat) but their normal one isn't bad. Wegmans has a "butter boy" store brand that isn't bad, but I don't find it any better than vermont creamery.

See if you can find Delitia Butter of Parma. Butter made from the same milk as Parmigiano Reggianno. As I recall, more parm-y flavor comes through than you might expect. Pretty delicious stuff.

Plugra, Crémerie Classique, Kerry gold are all great daily drivers I have used in nearly every restaurant I have worked in. All delicious, and all absolutely worth the extra cash over standard spec butter.

In a test a while ago Kerry Gold did pretty good, believe it was best of the large manufacturers. For my taste it's too plain, Beurre d'Isigny is nice.

I wonder if Lidl in the US is also selling Organic butter, that is my goto butter since a few years. Not the best top range butter I ever had, but it's real good!
Not sure if they'd print the origin on the package, in the EU you can track where dairy and meat products come from reasonably well using the code in the oval showing country and producers nr (here on the back).

http://das-ist-drin.de/glossar/betriebsnummern/BY-70007-International-Cheese-GmbH--970/Shows they get it im Unterallgäu, Bavaria.

20220117_094941.jpg

Last edited:
😎

Attachments

• 56FD419D-174B-4581-92DA-3A2C4BE888E6.jpeg
    56FD419D-174B-4581-92DA-3A2C4BE888E6.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 70119B0D-68C3-41DD-BF8E-167C23E33741.jpeg
    70119B0D-68C3-41DD-BF8E-167C23E33741.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 31
In a test a while ago Kerry Gold did pretty good, believe it was best of the large manufacturers. For my taste it's too plain, Beurre d'Isigny is nice.

I wonder if Lidl in the US is also selling Organic butter, that is my goto butter since a few years. Not the best top range butter I ever had, but it's real good!
Not sure if they'd print the origin on the package, in the EU you can track where dairy and meat products come from reasonably well using the code in the oval showing country and producers nr (here on the back).

http://das-ist-drin.de/glossar/betriebsnummern/BY-70007-International-Cheese-GmbH--970/Shows they get it im Unterallgäu, Bavaria.

View attachment 161030

To me I kind of still like Land of Lakes unsalted butter as it tastes creamer to me vs like Kerry Gold. The French butter tastes like you added sea salt to me, nice. But I have not tasted many butters. Still looking. From what I remember when I was small the German butters were creamy and light, very tasty but that was in the late 50s. Probably unpasteurized which we can't get in the USA.

Last edited:
While I am a butter purist 95% of the time, I actually found this as a very decent substitute while watching my cholesterol but still wanting butter for flavor. Not saying I want to use this forever, but for anyone out there looking to make dietary adjustments for whatever reason, Miyoko’s has been a pleasant surprise.

CBD32894-6D6E-44F5-8C54-DF5FA5D94A0C.jpeg

eeeeh Vegan and butter in one sentence? WOW....but WHY? First of all, why fake butter and then why coconut oil based fake butter

In a meta-analysis of 16 clinical trials, coconut oil was found to increase both LDL and HDL cholesterol levels in participants, compared with nontropical vegetable oils (e.g., sunflower, canola, olive). [3] Coconut oil increased total cholesterol by about 15 points, LDL by 10 points, and HDL by 4 points.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutrit...ext=In a meta-analysis of,and HDL by 4 points.

No offense, but is using less of the real deal not more satisfying and enabling you to not worsen your lipid profile?

Last edited:
@Hockey3081 A couple of years ago I started kind of a low-carb somewhat keto style diet to lose some weight, plus I'm a little diabetic. High cholesterol has also been a problem, but I was shocked at how eliminating carbs dropped my cholesterol and triglycerides to the best numbers I've had. In 2006, I donated blood and my total cholesterol was 318, but this past year, I had a 153 with most being 160-173. Of course, low-carb isn't the easiest diet, and I fall off for a couple of weeks sometimes.

For butter, I like President and Kerry Gold, but the Vermont Creamery is very good.

Im surprised to hear so many like Kerrygold.

Just goes to show. I love butter and use huge amounts of it but Kerrygold would probably be my last choice. To me the grass-fed-ness of it is a bit singular and offputting, whereas I dont feel that way about French ones.

eeeeh Vegan and butter in one sentence? WOW....but WHY? First of all, why fake butter and then why coconut oil based fake butter

In a meta-analysis of 16 clinical trials, coconut oil was found to increase both LDL and HDL cholesterol levels in participants, compared with nontropical vegetable oils (e.g., sunflower, canola, olive). [3] Coconut oil increased total cholesterol by about 15 points, LDL by 10 points, and HDL by 4 points.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutrit...ext=In a meta-analysis of,and HDL by 4 points.

No offense, but is using less of the real deal not more satisfying and enabling you to not worsen your lipid profile?
Trust me, anything vegan and I typically don’t mix. I don’t usually use straight coconut oil so I hadn’t researched that. My use of this was going off of the simplistic look of cholesterol amount on the label of the plant-based product being 0. Definitely something I want into look at more so thank you.

@Hockey3081 A couple of years ago I started kind of a low-carb somewhat keto style diet to lose some weight, plus I'm a little diabetic. High cholesterol has also been a problem, but I was shocked at how eliminating carbs dropped my cholesterol and triglycerides to the best numbers I've had. In 2006, I donated blood and my total cholesterol was 318, but this past year, I had a 153 with most being 160-173. Of course, low-carb isn't the easiest diet, and I fall off for a couple of weeks sometimes.

For butter, I like President and Kerry Gold, but the Vermont Creamery is very good.

This is great. I did keto a few years ago and felt great. I have high cholesterol in my family and never did a baseline blood test prior to starting or when I was done. I want to start again so I got my blood work done and it came out a little high. So once I get it down to normal again I will give it another shot and monitor my cholesterol.

I like Plugra as a daily driver because it’s good but also readily available and consistent.

I have a weakness for honey-butter - basically roughly mix up honey with cold butter so there’s still lots of little butter chunks. Then spread it straight on crackers or croissant. For that kind of application where the butter flavor is clear and dominant, I pefer a cultured butter vs non-cultured. I think Vermont Creamery used to be my go-to for cultured butter but I recall the flavor profile getting flat so I stopped buying it.

Agree with @tcmx3 on the Kerrygold - I found it a bit plain. Several years back I tried the parmesan milk butter that someone mentioned; I thought it was a gimmick but weirdly some cheese flavor did come through. Not sure how that works since presumably the milk used for the butter has nothing to do with the milk used for cheese.

Welcome to Canada! … The home of mediocre butter at outrageous prices.

Witness this absolutely unremarkable brand!

732F52C4-6796-4DA0-9CA9-DF8ACD5B7B27.jpeg

As you can see they are flying off the shelves. Go buy a better brand you say … they don’t exist! It’s illegal to sell imported brands in Canada. Gotta protect those dairy farmers. It wouldn’t be so bad if Canadian dairy farmers actually produced a decent product. They don’t … full stop.

Welcome to Canada! … The home of mediocre butter at outrageous prices.

Witness this absolutely unremarkable brand!

View attachment 161173

As you can see they are flying off the shelves. Go buy a better brand you say … they don’t exist! It’s illegal to sell imported brands in Canada. Gotta protect those dairy farmers. It wouldn’t be so bad if Canadian dairy farmers actually produced a decent product. They don’t … full stop.

Is that what you're paying for store brand at that side of the country? We got some better stuff for less over hear out east.

Yup! … Its sad but true. What’s really sad is that those of us who have been raised west of the big smoke have no idea what real butter tastes like, much less artisan butter. On my first trip to NZ my head almost blew up when I buttered my first bun.

Yup! … Its sad but true. What’s really sad is that those of us who have been raised west of the big smoke have no idea what real butter tastes like, much less artisan butter. On my first trip to NZ my head almost blew up when I buttered my first bun.

That really sucks. For that kind of price you're getting to the nicer stuff we can get in Toronto

I've got this in my fridge right now
20220117_215635.jpg

As well as I'm going through a log of this: Mr. Amish Hand Rolled Butter 2lbs – Mr. Amish

In Canada I actually think it’s illegal to ship dairy products from one province to another. Gotta protect those dairy farmers from real competition. Same deal with wine. In BC I can buy NZ or California wine but can’t buy Ontario wine. Gotta protect those wine makers from real competition.

That Mr Amish will ship to BC, but is is $30, so you gotta buy enough to make it worthwhile.

And weird as I can go to the LCBO and buy BC wine without a problem. I do know beer had to be brewed in province at one point to help protect companies.

My thinking may also be a bit out of date. I know that when the Trump administration made a big deal about free trade, dairy imports from outside Canada were taxed at 285%. As part of the new deal the Canadian Government reduced the tariff but put severe quotas on what could be imported.

Sorry for the thread drift!

I only dropped my link, without talking about it. But that Bordier butter is some amazing ****. But I was lazy and left it in the fridge with its wax paper wrapper just snuggly twisted up and covering it. It was amazing for the first two weeks. I really should have cut it in half and vac-sealed and froze the other half. I bought 2 kilos of lightly salted (which was insanely salty) and 2 kilos of unsalted. My plan was to use the unsalted and make croissants.

Unfortunately the last third ended up tasting EXACTLY like fancy blue cheese. I know fat-based foods can absorb odors from the fridge, but the only blue cheese I had was in it's foil wrap and in a ziplock bag. Anyway, I tossed the last third out because I couldn't find anything to pair it with.

I'm but a simple American rube who buys their butter from the supermarket, but in my mind, butter exists on a spectrum from unctuous to dry. Kerrygold is about as unctuous as you can get, cloying and almost artificial. Hard to describe 'dry' butter, but that's how I think of Président down at the other end of the spectrum - that very French style other people would call 'nutty'

I used to buy Plugra, which is closer to the middle of the spectrum but still a bit dry, until my local store started carrying Finlandia. It's on the unctuous side of neutral, but not cartoonish like Kerrygold. To me it's how butter is supposed to taste.
34E069F0-A60D-4A29-82B3-1B406A204BBA.jpeg

I guess I have to count myself lucky living in 'dairy land' Netherlands, where Butter by law can only contain butter in order to be sold as such...man those prices are ridiculous, even when farmers need quite a bit more than we usually pay to live off dairy sold in supermarkets.

10 miles from where I live 'my' dynamic/organic white asparagus grower also sells great organic butter from a bit further away, and practically every second village nowadays has an organic farm that sells their own products.

(we try to buy organic, especially for high fat products such as oils/butter etc as chemical residue often is fat soluble)

[rant mode on]
Who is interested in reading what is NOT in the product, I want to see a transparent listing of what IS in it.
[rant mode off]

Back