Good steel and BBQ- more fustration

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what's wrong with boiling ribs??????????!!!!!!....ryan

p.s.-yeah it's best not to get me angry

Jim, Monty bbq looks great, maked me so hungry with those pics. I use a Forschner slicer for my bbq (brisket, pork roast, etc) it works but I'd like something better.

I use a Big Green Egg™ which gives you the options of either grilling at up to 700º+ searing down to 180º low and slow. With mesquite lump charcoal I have done butt cooks of 13 hours on a single load of fuel.

I'm another egger, and I've been over 1K and gone over 20 hours....

Holey moley!! How did you measure the temp??

Suffice it to say, I have all the necessary equipment ;). I was trexing some steaks.

I look at the egg, but went with the treager for ease of use. I can go a day with the hopper full on the smoke setting without touching a thing.

I wonder if the Egg could be used to heat treat a blade.............................

I wonder if the Egg could be used to heat treat a blade.............................

it would need to hit 1450-1525 and hold if VERY reliably for the better part of 30 minutes (10 deg +/- makes a huge difference)
solid fuel heat sources have a very difficult time getting above 1200 without a forced air source.

it could be done but it wouldn't necessarily be simple.

I have a burn out oven that I will be using, I think!

Blades and Brisket my new restaurant.
would you like a side order of 01 steel and fries

Suffice it to say, I have all the necessary equipment ;). I was trexing some steaks.

I had to laugh at this one. Warren, you have ALL the equipment, necessary or not ;) I would love to have an egg, but I just don't have a good - or legal - place to set one up around my apartment. But still, greaat info and pictures in this thread.

Stefan

Stefan, can't you just find a semi-active volcano ?

I wanted to ask Warren about this, but didn't want to sound like a nerd-do you use a guru or stoker w/ your egg? Anyone else (Monty, I bet you use one) want to chime in on this? I have had the pleasure of enjoying Warren's food at one of Dave's classes (& envying all his pro equipment), I am just a bbq beginner, don't even have a thermapen yet, but I love hearing about all the gadgets & tools...

Yes, I have a few Gurus and a Stoker. They have their individual strengths. I was trying to convince Fred (BBQ Guru) to add better networking to the Gurus, but I don't think that's going to happen. When I use the stoker, I can monitor the temp from a motel room and even have an alarm go off.

Back