Grinding Belt Recommendation in the UK 2x72

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
Am using a 2x72 belt grinder to make knives (stock removal, have no forge) and use 3M Cubitron II 60 grit from BND Abrasives. Went for the 60s as these are the 1st knives made and had visions of ruining £££s of hardened steel.
They work fine but don't last as long as I expected, 1 per knife or less, though this may be normal.
Was wondering if anyone has any better suggestions available in the UK?

I’ve been using red label belts and have been very happy with them. I get several knives out of a 40 grit and I always grind after HT. I’m only using 1/16” stock though and lately I’ve been making 170mm knives so not sure how that compares to what you’re doing. I get them on amazon so not sure if you can buy them on your side of the pond or not? They get good reviews and cost less than the 3M belts.

Thanks Guys, like the Trizact belts for polishing, had not thought about grinding. Cannot find the 347 in the UK, might have to buy from the states, import duties might make that cost prohibitive.
I'll try the red label, price looks good off amazon :)

you are probably not pushing hard enough! ceramics like to be really battered to fracture the grit and keep them cutting.

You will get better prices from carls.nu - the Bora ceramic belts offer pretty good price-to-performance ration (especially with the discount you get when you order 3 packages with 10 belts per package) and very good Trizact Gator prices. It was actually me who talked them into offering Gator belts :)

Back