Gyuto: 240mm - Sasanoha vs Koishi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pebbles

Reaction score
Hello, Forums.

This will be my first post. I have been collecting couple knives and I realize that I don't have proper chef knife.

Here is Debate. Gyuto with 240mm length, Which one would you choose? Masakage Koishi or Takeda NAS Sasanoha?

I know what I am going to end up buying due to local promotions and out of stock Situation. (Koishi)
(I am some what thankful that I only have one choice. Most of time I have hard time deciding.)

If Koishi and Sasanoha was in Stock, What would you pick? (Koishi and Takeda NAS is my favorite Knife Brand.)

Thanks forum.

Kurosaki as from knives and stones , nicely done aogami super steel , great bargain from a young blacksmith , gets super sharp and doesn't have any major grind concerns

The takeda it s a laser knife, it more for fine cut instead the koishi it s more for big root veggies or stuff that require a bit more of strength. The koishi it feels very stiff in my hand and the takeda it s fell s a bit flexible.
Also you have to keep on mind that the new generation of takeda needs a bit of thinning work before to appreciate all the capacity.
Edge retention it s better in the takeda, that knife just stay sharp for ever .
The kurosaki as in my opinion it s almost identical to the koishi.
The r2 version of the kurosaki it s the one you should consider if you like the powder metal, same grind with better edge retention.

As mentioned above, the Sasanoha definitely has some flex & is light in the hand plus that edge retention on it is some of the finest out there. As for the grind on the one I got (1 year ago) not bad at all, had to take it to the stones for about 20 mins to shave down the "shoulders" on it a bit, luckily no major marathon session needed and now it performs really well. Wasn't that bad before I got it on the stones, maybe I got a lucky one.

Back