Gyuto Advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only advice I can give with regards to TF is to never buy a tf unless you inspect it in person or buy hisamoto fine finish by morehei which is made by TF.

Morehei fixed the problems before sending it out.
Not true. The Morihei Hisamoto 210 I got was bent and had a horrible transition from tip to heel on the board (prob related to the bend). It was returned.

Not true. The Morihei Hisamoto 210 I got was bent and had a horrible transition from tip to heel on the board (prob related to the bend). It was returned.
Conclusion is, 10 of TF 9 is sucks...

Conclusion is, 10 of TF 9 is sucks...
Nope. All 5 I bought from TF direct have been perfect in the most important areas that matter to me. ie performance, straight and consistent blade edge. Includes 2 nashiji 210 gyutos, a Mab petty, a Mab Nakiri and a 210 Denka gyuto. A few F&F issues are irrelevant to my enjoyment. Many others have had similar experiences. I've had more lemons %-wise from other well regarded makers (Western and Japanese)

Nope. All 5 I bought from TF direct have been perfect in the most important areas that matter to me. ie performance, straight and consistent blade edge. Includes 2 nashiji 210 gyutos, a Mab petty, a Mab Nakiri and a 210 Denka gyuto. A few F&F issues are irrelevant to my enjoyment. Many others have had similar experiences.
You're so lucky....

Personally I would go with AS steel. But I am distorted by my taste say it. I have a Gyuto Koishi (Masakage by Yoshimi Kato) and a Nashiji line in Sujihiki. I like this steel, it responds well to sharpening and quickly keeps it for a long time. In addition I have not yet been disappointed with the fit and finish of Yoshimi Kato's knives.

Personally I would go with AS steel. But I am distorted by my taste say it. I have a Gyuto Koishi (Masakage by Yoshimi Kato) and a Nashiji line in Sujihiki. I like this steel, it responds well to sharpening and quickly keeps it for a long time. In addition I have not yet been disappointed with the fit and finish of Yoshimi Kato's knives.
Kato & Kurosaki both very similar profile, any idea?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200120_162539.jpg
    Screenshot_20200120_162539.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20200120_162234.jpg
    Screenshot_20200120_162234.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 44
Kato & Kurosaki both very similar profile, any idea?

For what I've seen in person, Kurosaki and Kato goes fairly with the same shape with there knife. Each line style is different for the steel and the finish look on the blade. So I would says go with your taste for the look of the knife, the shape of the edge will be the same.

I have 2 Kurosaki Syousin Chiku . A 210 Gyuto and. 180 Nakiri. Both are among my best cutters. The As steel feels really good on the stones and is easy to keep sharp. However, I’m a home cook and have a lot of knives so I can’t really speak to how long the edge will hold with heavy pro use. Both are very thin behind the edge. Food release is average.

I just received a 210 Morihei Hisamoto from Protooling. Paul sent me lots of photos before I bought and also confirmed that the grind was good and the blade was straight. Ootb edge was pretty poor. I took it to a Shapton 1000 and put a micro bevel on it. Cuts a lot better now although food release is not great. I think this one is going to be more of a project knife that I was expecting. However, at the price point, I’m happy to work on it and I’m not moving it on.

As pure cutters, the Kurosakis are better. However, I like the profile of the Hisamoto better and believe that it has a higher ceiling than the Kurosakis after I finish playing with it.

For what I've seen in person, Kurosaki and Kato goes fairly with the same shape with there knife. Each line style is different for the steel and the finish look on the blade. So I would says go with your taste for the look of the knife, the shape of the edge will be the same.
Content de voir un autre membre du Québec, bienvenue!

Back