Half-sheet pans that won't warp in high heat?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having recently convinced myself that I am doing unnecessary work by browning meat for large batches of stew in pans on the stove, I've been trying the oven. Line a half-sheet pan with parchment, 400-425 degrees F, and just check it periodically, then flip.

That's all very well, but my half sheet pans (stainless steel, fully rolled rim, don't know the gauge) get a really pronounced warp when I do this. Yes, they spring back to their original shape when they cook, but I'd prefer that they not do it at all.

Internet lore says "NordicWare" but also contains hints that the new ones are not so good as the old.

Anyone have some personal experience to bring to bear on this warping pan problem? I know I could use a big cast-iron pan, but we're talking about a lot of meat here, so it would take too many batches.

I've never had any issues after many years with my Nordicware and USA Pans. Both of are similar construction quality. I have baking sheets, bread loafs, pie tins, and roasting pans from both.

Whenever I see some on sale, I usually buy more.

Having recently convinced myself that I am doing unnecessary work by browning meat for large batches of stew in pans on the stove, I've been trying the oven. Line a half-sheet pan with parchment, 400-425 degrees F, and just check it periodically, then flip.

That's all very well, but my half sheet pans (stainless steel, fully rolled rim, don't know the gauge) get a really pronounced warp when I do this. Yes, they spring back to their original shape when they cook, but I'd prefer that they not do it at all.

Internet lore says "NordicWare" but also contains hints that the new ones are not so good as the old.

Anyone have some personal experience to bring to bear on this warping pan problem? I know I could use a big cast-iron pan, but we're talking about a lot of meat here, so it would take too many batches.

Roasting pans would work better than sheet pans.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice-28-qt-aluminum-roaster-pan-24-x-18-x-4-1-2/471ALRP2418.html

I thought the high sides of roasting pans were decidedly not beneficial to oven browning and sheet pans are a better option.

Aluminum is a better option than stainless for anti warp pans

Here’s some further information

https://www.seriouseats.com/equipment-you-dont-need-an-expensive-roasting-pan#:~:text=Even%20when%20you're%20roasting,and%20be%20easier%20to%20handle.

Edit

This actually looks pretty interesting for you

https://www.seriouseats.com/misen-roasting-pan-review-6751865

Last edited:
I thought the high sides of roasting pans were decidedly not beneficial to oven browning and sheet pans are a better option.

Aluminum is a better option than stainless for anti warp pans

Here’s some further information

https://www.seriouseats.com/equipment-you-dont-need-an-expensive-roasting-pan#:~:text=Even%20when%20you're%20roasting,and%20be%20easier%20to%20handle.

Edit

This actually looks pretty interesting for you

https://www.seriouseats.com/misen-roasting-pan-review-6751865

Typical sheet pans will warp with high heat whether aluminum or stainless. That simply isn't what they are designed for. The high walls of a roasting pan don't matter if you preheat your roasting pan. Either in the oven or on top of the range (which is something that will definitely warp your sheet pans). The high walls are also nice to prevent fat from sloshing out and burning you. I have seen many people get burned over the years and a few grease fires started from people trying to roast very fatty things like beef bones in too shallow of a pan or a pan that warps under the high heat and sends 400 degree grease everywhere.

Typical sheet pans will warp with high heat whether aluminum or stainless. That simply isn't what they are designed for.
Ignorant question: What then are sheet pans designed for?

Ignorant question: What then are sheet pans designed for?
Roasting at temperatures below 400 degrees.
Baking stuff.
Roasting things that aren't too fatty where it overflows the pan.
As a tray to organize mise en place.
Drip pans in ovens.
As a storage device in conjunction with a speed rack.

They are my main tool of the trade nowadays.

Screenshot_20231106-062528.png

It also depends on the strength of your oven and whether or not there are convection fans. My weak little conventional electric oven at my house would have a tough time warping anything. I still wouldn't want 400 degree meat juices to splash on me though.

Easier to say what they're not for.... Anything that is going to render fluid that is apt to spill when your taking it out your oven. Kind of a Josie Wales thing.... "man's got to know his limitations"

You could always roast in a sheet pan and put a roasting pan (or two) on a lower rack to collect spilling grease. And if you are roasting a big hunk of protein you can even ditch the sheet pan and just put the meat on a rack, with a roasting pan below. Note that I have not done this, but I've seen others do so.

Another option is to use a roasting pan with a rack in it to raise up what you are roasting.

another idea - use 2 quarter sheet pans rather than a half sheet? I've yet to have one of my quarter sheet NordicWare warp. But I will also say that I'd bought a bunch of them in a short period from different sources and they are different weights (some are thinner than others).

Large cast iron skillet is another option. They can take it as hot as any oven will go with no issue, and you can preheat on stove top. Roasting pan as recommended above may be easier for really large quantities.

You could always roast in a sheet pan and put a roasting pan (or two) on a lower rack to collect spilling grease. And if you are roasting a big hunk of protein you can even ditch the sheet pan and just put the meat on a rack, with a roasting pan below. Note that I have not done this, but I've seen others do so.

Another option is to use a roasting pan with a rack in it to raise up what you are roasting.

I did a Jamie Oliver recipe for roast lamb that was done straight on the rack, placing a pan with potatoes on the rack below. Works well enough, but then you have to worry about cleaning up the rack.

The high walls of a roasting pan don't matter if you preheat your roasting pan. Either in the oven or on top of the range (which is something that will definitely warp your sheet pans).
I really wish I had known this before I threw out my old roasting pan, many years ago. I tossed it for exactly this reason, that anything below the high edge of the pan would not brown.

Finally I ran across a recipe that specifically included pre-heating your roasting pan in the instructions. With no roasting pan, I was using a high-sided enameled cast iron pan. The technique worked perfectly, no more browning complaints from me.

I bought 4 sheet pans from my Restaurant supply house. not one of them have warped. and I have used them for everything, including browning meats under the broiler. I think they were $9 each at the time. my favorite one is so stained it is awesome looking.

I bought 4 sheet pans from my Restaurant supply house. not one of them have warped. and I have used them for everything, including browning meats under the broiler. I think they were $9 each at the time. my favorite one is so stained it is awesome looking.

Stains on my sheet pans are unacceptable. If they get stained then I scour them down to bare metal with steel wool or an extra coarse scrubbie. Reading this is like listening to nails on a chalkboard for me. Now I know how the "Never rock chop with a J-knife crowd" must feel when I post a garlic video.

Stains on my sheet pans are unacceptable. If they get stained then I scour them down to bare metal with steel wool or an extra coarse scrubbie. Reading this is like listening to nails on a chalkboard for me. Now I know how the "Never rock chop with a J-knife crowd" must feel when I post a garlic video.
I've seen some pretty disgusting-looking sheet pans come out the dishwashers at restaurants. Waaaaay worse than when my wife washes the sheet pans when she isn't wearing glasses or contact lenses :D

again. I don't mind patina on things. shows I am using the gear and just "going for it". I may never photo the handle on my Mineral-B pan. that is too much patina!! too much!!

my sheet pans have a story, and it isn't me, a sponge and some Ajax. its the spaghetti bake gone wild, the spatchcock game hen splatter, and the chili, event horizon. great stories. I used one pan for an awesome backdrop for an oyster photo. life is messy.

6D580E7E-89F6-4D22-B12E-B9349FD46591-2738-00000229358A80FF.jpg

again. I don't mind patina on things. shows I am using the gear and just "going for it". I may never photo the handle on my Mineral-B pan. that is too much patina!! too much!!

my sheet pans have a story, and it isn't me, a sponge and some Ajax. its the spaghetti bake gone wild, the spatchcock game hen splatter, and the chili, event horizon. great stories. I used one pan for an awesome backdrop for an oyster photo. life is messy.

View attachment 280497

My wife puts the quarter sheet pans in the dishwasher. They end up with their own unique pan-tina. Kind of like after you acid etch a knife and they get that powdery matte finish. Luckily the half sheet pans are too big to fit. 😂

PXL_20231106_223209265.jpg

I've seen some pretty disgusting-looking sheet pans come out the dishwashers at restaurants. Waaaaay worse than when my wife washes the sheet pans when she isn't wearing glasses or contact lenses :D
Every chef has their pet peeves. Usually directly related to some serious traumatic episodes from some point early in their career.

My wife puts the quarter sheet pans in the dishwasher. They end up with their own unique pan-tina. Kind of like after you acid etch a knife and they get that powdery matte finish. Luckily the half sheet pans are too big to fit. 😂

View attachment 280503

View attachment 280503
That looks awesome. I put my 1/8(?) sheets in the dishwasher but they don’t come out like that.

Back