Hattori KD Anyone???$$$

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats more messy is thats a member because hes selling marcs kurosaki suji with haburn handle.... for a nice profit I must add

Whaaat? What is the actual realistic value of that knife? Or am I missing something about that particular Hattori/ Smith. I've never used a hattori. I know a little bit of them but never used any.

Last edited:
If it was a 270 gyuto 0r 300 yanagi I think 3-4k usd would be plausible, being a 210 I think 2k-2.5k is more obtainable, still over valued though as the knife is probably from a performance materials perspective only worth 6-700 usd even with the kiri box.

What's the story here? Guessing, buys rare knives on here and puts them up on E-Bay for 100% markup?

Basically, maybe not 100% but he's making a decent upcharge. I'm not sure what eBay charges for fees etc. But yes he is a flipper

Same member infamous for these practices. s0...
Yeah, he threw a huge number at me for my Kramer, glad I didn't take it.

I owned a small KD a while back, it is a pretty standard knife. Call me crazy, but I'd say its probably on the same level as tanaka r2 Ironwoods (which are great knives). Rarity is driving the price here (Much like Kramers).

Just out of curiosity, does any who owns a Hattori KD actually use it? It seems to me like they are more a "collectable"than an actual user in most cases. Not all of course.

I've seen one used in my entire time as a forum member and it was by someone who had a fairly decent collection of them , I can't see these being above a tanaka r2 ironwood or an uchigumo, a smith can only do so much, but basically once a famous smith dies(retires) the prices go up 2-3 x add inflation and hype and we can see where this guy got his number from

Just out of curiosity, does any who owns a Hattori KD actually use it? It seems to me like they are more a "collectable"than an actual user in most cases. Not all of course.

I heard they cut like **** [emoji33]

There are better cutters, there certainly are worst cutters. Is it the best cutter in the world ever made? No.

But to say it cuts like **** would be unfair, massively unfair

Use mine fairly regularly, it’s a really solid all rounder. Was four figures over 6 years ago 2nd hand

KD were good knives at the time they were being made.
The steel seemed pretty special then and the price was not outrageous...

If it was a 270 gyuto 0r 300 yanagi I think 3-4k usd would be plausible, being a 210 I think 2k-2.5k is more obtainable, still over valued though as the knife is probably from a performance materials perspective only worth 6-700 usd even with the kiri box.

The last legit one I saw up for sale was 2ish years ago, 210, out of Russia and the ask was 3500. Even at the time I was shocked. This price is beyond, but I expect no less from soreal.

I have a petty that gets used pretty regularly. Something about the profile makes it my favorite knife for tomatoes--especially if I'm putting up pounds of them for freezing--it's great for cutting around stems. Plus the micarta handle means that you can get tomato gore all over it while you're working and not worry about it. The spine is not at all rounded and kind of sharp--wabi-sabi'd the fool out of mine to make it more comfy. I have a similar size Tanaka ironwood that I use for other things. Both are dandy knives, and the prices weren't too different at the time.

A similar 210 KD was on ebay a year or so ago in the $2000 range. If I had $5K to blow, I'd be looking at a custom or 2.

‘So real’, where our bst sales go to die. (Nearing a 100% markup on my old Martell rehandled Kono Suji w/Mikey handle which was won here back in the day!)

I have a hattori KD and was eyeing the one on ebay when it was on a russian site horeca. Guy offered it for 3,500k and I was trying to talk him down.. plus didn't fully trust wiring money to Russia. When this knife went up on ebay the russian one sold. think asking price was in 4k range... so I sit patiently for my HHH custom

I own a 270 KD and the blade is the best I've ever handled. Holds a great crazy sharp edge, steel is hard and you know it when sharpening it . Handle could be improved and I'd prefer a more rounded coil. Still one of the best knives I've ever used and it's so much fun.

If I had $5k that was burning a hole in my pocket, I'd rather have Bill Burke's "Twin Rivers of Gold". Check it out at The Epicurean Edge:

98699_1_b.jpg

If I had $5k that was burning a hole in my pocket, I'd rather have Bill Burke's "Twin Rivers of Gold". Check it out at The Epicurean Edge:

98699_1_b.jpg

See now I atleast understand why that ones so expensive, super super cool by the way

Latest posts

Back