Heat treatment destruction

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarrod12345

Reaction score
Gday folks! This is going to seem like a silly question, but it’s genuinely something that intrigues and worries me.

If I was to cut hot meat that just came out of the oven (180 degrees Celsius), could this potentially destroy or alter the heat treatment of my knives? It’s something that makes me too scared to use my knives around any source of heat.

Thanks!

I think should be fine. Heat Treatment I believe we re talking temps over 700 Celsius. Not an expert at all just my two cents. Knives are made to cut hot meat too!😅

I think should be fine. Heat Treatment I believe we re talking temps over 700 Celsius. Not an expert at all just my two cents. Knives are made to cut hot meat too!😅
Tempering temperatures are within an oven range (ofc, time is an aspect as well). Just a fyi, nothing to do with the question

As @McMan suggested, the meat will be under 100 Celsius unless you have completely evaporated all of the water from it. In which case, it will be dry (obviously) and charred and you probably won't want to eat it.

what about an induction stove, I recently wondered if it would even pick up a knife and function and the be a able to mess up a knife but did not want to potentially waste one..

what about an induction stove, I recently wondered if it would even pick up a knife and function and the be a able to mess up a knife but did not want to potentially waste one..
I don't have experience with inductive stovetops, but from seeing induction forging demos I would think that they would be something to be careful of with knives.

I'll try with some mild steel I have lying around, rather than a knife....I do a quench in the dischwasher....and then grind :angel:

No dice, the amount of steel is probably not enough to close the field..it has some sort of protection, likely an induction loop too. perhaps if I want to make a serbian cleaver...

Edit , good to know as I have wondered what would happen if I would put a knife on or close to the induction field by accident...we're both known to not switch it iff, the big difference is that I do that without pans on the field my GF does it with near empty pans on the field....the difference is easy to smell.

Attachments

• 20220513_163405.jpg
    20220513_163405.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back