Hello From Fred in PA

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred in PA

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just introducing myself. I'm a retired chemist, and have long admired fine kitchen cutlery, particularly Japanese-style knives. Just a week or so ago I made a trip to New York City to visit some of the Japanese knife specialty stores, and used the occasion to buy my first high-end (at least what I consider to be high-end) Gyuto, a picture of which I'm using as my Avatar. It's a Kintaro Aogami Super Kuroichi with a 240 mm blade. It's an absolute joy to use, and I just love the way it looks.

Also, beginning at about the start of the year I decided to try to up my game when it comes to sharpening skill. I can't say what level of skill I've achieved, probably pathetic compared to some of the folks on this forum, but I do know my blades are sharper now than they were. And although I started using Japanese King waterstones many years ago to sharpen woodworking tools, I'm really enjoying the Shapton Glass 500, and Naniwa Chosera 800 and 3000 stones I recently purchased, along with a nice compressed buffalo hide strop.

Currently I'm in the process of reading about the equipment and skills needed to get into making my own blades, especially focusing on what kind of 2 x 72" belt grinder to purchase. Advice on this would be most welcome. After educating myself a little, I'm looking to get into the craft primarily as a hobby.

Hello Fred, welcome to the forums! You got a nice knife and some really good stones.

About the knifemaking - just start a thread in the Shop Talk subforum and you will get plenty of advice. Just be prepared - i is not a cheap hobby :)

Back