Hello from the UK!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurrFlipper

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a keen amateur home cook. Been a knife addict now for about a year and about time I joined here to be with fellow addicts!

Welcome. Which knives have fueled your addiction so far?

Thank you! Using a Shun Santoku and that "oh wow" moment the first time ever using a Japanese knife was my gateway into my knife addiction, before then I'd just been using knives I'd bought off Amazon, it was then a couple of Konosuke knives I bought just over a year ago now which truly sent me headfirst down the rabbit hole from which I will never reemerge, a GS+ and a Sumiiro. The Sumiiro in particular had such a sharp edge out of the box it made cooking something I already enjoyed to something I spent my day genuinely looking forward to do. Since then I've added a Takamura SG2, a Yoshikane Hamano White #2, a Fujiwara Denka 180mm, a Masakage Yuki, a Shibata AS, a Kyohei Shindo and my latest addition is a Sakai Kikumori Choyo Blue #1. I try not to think how much I've spent on knives, stones and a cutting board over the last 14/15 months, but ultimately I consider money spent on making something I do every day genuinely fun and enjoyable to be money well spent. I think these knives have actually been good for my health too, I definitely eat more vegetables since getting them because they're so much fun to cut now!

Thanks, I've been meaning to pick up a Victorinox Fibrox for beater duties for a while now, but for high performance I have to say I'm very much smitten with the harder Japanese steels. I do have a few old (probably 70s/80s) Western knives my parents gave to me though, one is a Sabatier and I think a couple are vintage Gustav Emil Erns, they're blunt as anything (decades of being stored in a drawer thrown in with everything else) and am thinking about taking them to a professional for restoration.

Back